FIT QUESTIONS - Shoulder belt concerns, first time in a backless booster, Toyota Tundra, Diono Booster

Snowball

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 11.21.25 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 11.21.08 AM.jpg Hi -
I'm having fit issues with my Diono backless booster The shoulder belt looks dangerously close to slipping off her shoulder.

The nitty gritty details:
my daughter is 55", 75lbs and just turned 10.

She has outgrown her Britax Clicktight Frontier as a 5-point harness, and unfortunately, it doesn't fit in our 2020 Toyota Tundra as a high back booster.
The headrest of the Britax high back booster is pushed forward by the glass rear window when it is at the appropriate height to be used as a belt positioning booster.

So, I purchased a Diono Solano backless booster. I've installed it using LATCH. The vehicle belt is nicely positioned across her upper thighs, but the shoulder belt doesn't look right to me. It looks like it is too close to slipping OFF her shoulder rather than lying across her collarbone.

When she is using the Diono backless booster, her feet are 4" off the ground. Without the booster, sitting on the vehicle seat, her feet are still 3" off the ground, the seat has a bit of a bucket dip to it.

Do you think I need to remove the belt positioner clip (red thing on her shoulder). It is optional, but in my opinion, the vehicle belt alone looked worse.

FUTHER DETAILS: Her 7 year old brother, 51" is in the other outboard seating position, behind the driver. He is using the Britax Clicktight Frontier as a belt positioning booster. His fits, as he is not as tall, so the head wind portion isn't as tall so it doesn't bump the window.

Last edited:
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi!

Of course you know best as you can see it in person and photos can be misleading. It looks a little close to the edge, but like it MIGHT work if you can get her to scoot towards the door? You'll likely have to unhook the LATCH straps to see if this will work. if it does, she'd just need to buckle the booster in when not occupied.

If that still leaves it too close to the edge, your choices would include trying another high back that might or might not fit, trying a different seating position, or perhaps a Ride Safer Travel Vest.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC