Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

FIT QUESTIONS - Shoulder belt concerns, first time in a backless booster, Toyota Tundra, Diono Booster

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 11.21.25 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-27 at 11.21.08 AM.jpgHi -
    I'm having fit issues with my Diono backless booster The shoulder belt looks dangerously close to slipping off her shoulder.

The nitty gritty details:
    my daughter is 55", 75lbs and just turned 10.

She has outgrown her Britax Clicktight Frontier as a 5-point harness, and unfortunately, it doesn't fit in our 2020 Toyota Tundra as a high back booster.
    The headrest of the Britax high back booster is pushed forward by the glass rear window when it is at the appropriate height to be used as a belt positioning booster.

So, I purchased a Diono Solano backless booster. I've installed it using LATCH. The vehicle belt is nicely positioned across her upper thighs, but the shoulder belt doesn't look right to me. It looks like it is too close to slipping OFF her shoulder rather than lying across her collarbone.

When she is using the Diono backless booster, her feet are 4" off the ground. Without the booster, sitting on the vehicle seat, her feet are still 3" off the ground, the seat has a bit of a bucket dip to it.

Do you think I need to remove the belt positioner clip (red thing on her shoulder). It is optional, but in my opinion, the vehicle belt alone looked worse.

FUTHER DETAILS: Her 7 year old brother, 51" is in the other outboard seating position, behind the driver. He is using the Britax Clicktight Frontier as a belt positioning booster. His fits, as he is not as tall, so the head wind portion isn't as tall so it doesn't bump the window.
    Last edited by Snowball; 02-27-2020 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added photos

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: FIT QUESTIONS - Shoulder belt concerns, first time in a backless booster, Toyota Tundra, Diono Booster

I apparently cannot add more photos. So, i guess you'll have to trust me that the belt looks good across her upper lap.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: FIT QUESTIONS - Shoulder belt concerns, first time in a backless booster, Toyota Tundra, Diono Booster

Hi!

Of course you know best as you can see it in person and photos can be misleading. It looks a little close to the edge, but like it MIGHT work if you can get her to scoot towards the door? You'll likely have to unhook the LATCH straps to see if this will work. if it does, she'd just need to buckle the booster in when not occupied.

If that still leaves it too close to the edge, your choices would include trying another high back that might or might not fit, trying a different seating position, or perhaps a Ride Safer Travel Vest.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!