Too early for backless? 7 year old

VooDooCC

My boy is about to turn 7, roughly 49" and 49lbs, but I think there was a growth spurt the other night :). We currently have a Evenflo Maestro but the shoulder belt is suddenly getting very difficult to get in place. He either has to lean forward or slouch one side and the belt path under the headrest is even to slightly below his shoulder line.
I thought maybe a regular booster, no harness, would be a little better, so I sat him in the Graco TurboBooster display model at Walmart. If it was any taller, I really couldn't tell. I was just about to order the backless, but then I saw a few things saying little ones should stay in high backs until at least 8, preferably 9.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
A 7 year old who can sit correctly can safely use a backless. That said, it's my experience they get tired and whiny.

The TurboBooster adjusts significantly taller than the Maestro by pulling up the handle at the top. If you want even taller than that, you could look at the Britax boosters (the budget model is the Skyline) which are a quite decent price for just about the tallest on the market.

VooDooCC

Thank you, the one in the store didn't raise, only tilted. I should have searched before posting. He does tend to nap a lot on the longer rides, so the headrest wings would be a good thing.

MelodyoftheForest

In the meantime, I just watched an Evenflo webinar and you don’t have to use the belt guide in the Maestro if it’s too low. As long as the child’s head is in the proper position according to the manual (usually top of ears below top of seat shell) and the shoulder belt is still in a good position on the child, you can bypass the belt guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Thank you, the one in the store didn't raise, only tilted. I should have searched before posting. He does tend to nap a lot on the longer rides, so the headrest wings would be a good thing.

Sometimes they zip tie the booster for display, which prevents raising the back. The TurboBooster should accommodate a 20.5" or so torso, which is usually at least a year past outgrowing the Maestro as I recall.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC