Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Vehicle recommendations please?

Sheesh, I havenít been on here in forever! We are looking at replacing our Ď03 Odyssey this spring/summer and need some recommendations. I would love an 8 passenger vehicle, but itís not entirely necessary. My kids are as follows:
    12 year old, 5 steps
    10 year old, Incognito
    8 year old, Harmony backless
    6 year old, currently Pioneer, but looking at boosters
    3 year old, FF Fllo

We have about $8000, and thatís Canadian.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Vehicle recommendations please?

You could look at another odyssey or sienna. Other than a van the honda pilot is a reliable suv (my pilot is a 2014 but my sister drives a 2004 pilot and it still runs great). You might sacrifice a little bit of trunk space compared to a van but you would get 8 seats.

Moderator - CPS Technician

Your kids are similar ages to mine. We got an 8 passenger Sedona last summer and I do really love having the 8th seat so that we only need 2 in the third row. That said, $8k is not much of a budget in American $ so I’m guessing your options are extremely limited. I don’t recall when the Sedona came with an 8 passenger option but you might be able to find a newer, high mileage one in your price range. Otherwise I’d look for a 2010 or older 8 passenger Sienna (but those are extremely rare around here so might be hard).

Honestly with a low budget, I’d do some searches now so that you can recognize a good deal when you see one and then jump when you’re ready. Not sure if things are different in Canada, but here spending less than about $10k on a car means you’ll generally have better luck buying private party from someone whose goal is to get more cash than they would by trading it in. Dealerships don’t sell much in that price range (except some dealerships that specialize in lower priced used cars).
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

How is the 8th seat in the 2008 Odyssey? I know itís pretty narrow, can anything fit there? Ideally I would put my Fllo there FF. There are a couple Ď08 Odysseyís for sale here privately, I just wasnít sure if that seat was actually useful.

Moderator - CPS Technician

It’s not as good as the 8th seat in the Sienna for that age van, but some stuff will fit there. There are definitely some threads if you search a bit - when we bought our 2008 Sedona we were considering that generation Odyssey and I remember finding info about what would fit in the 8th seat. However, pretty sure there is no tether anchor, which would mean no ff harnesses since you’re in Canada (unless the Canadian version added an anchor there).
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava