Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thoughts on Britax Frontier at higher weights

Hi. I posted a couple days ago about being unable to get our Graco Nautilus installed using the seat belt. I've tried everything and I still am not comfortable with the install. No great car seat techs in our area.

The other seat I have not being used is a Britax Frontier clicktight. I loved this seat but after the consumer report testing I haven't been comfortable using it. I want to keep my son harnessed 1 more year, he'll be 6 in October. He us 44lb and 45" tall. Would you be comfortable with your kid at this weight using the Frontier harnessed knowing it failed the consumer report testing? I doubt he will be 50lb before we'd switch to a booster. He is really becoming quite tall and skinny.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Thoughts on Britax Frontier at higher weights

Consumer Reports should just disappear. They're useless.

Just install the Frontier per Britax's instructions. Use seat belt and top tether, not the lower anchors. Before installing it, just make sure he still fits height wise. More important than the maximum height on the label is where his shoulders are in relation to the harness. As long as the harness are at or above his shoulders, he should fit.

Thanks. I've never had any issues installing this seat thanks to the clicktight system. We never even attempted to use latch with it. He still has a ton of room for growth so nowhere near the height limit. This is is secondary seat anyways. In my car he rides in Chicco Myfit which I love.

Moderator - CPS Technician

My personal opinion is to not use the Frontier past when it is needed, especially for heavier kids. The CR testing does not negate the fact that the Frontier does pass federal standards, but it does tell me that harnessing forever is not necessarily the best idea. My 6.5 year old is in one and we tried moving him to a booster but realized he wasn't ready when I had to remind him to sit properly every 5 minutes on a 2 hour (one way) car trip last weekend. So back to the Frontier he went, because proper use trumps all.
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

6. Thank You from:

Thanks Yeah I definitely wouldn't use this seat harnessed at the upper weight limit. But I feel like under 50lb it should be fine....he is only 44lb and ha only gained 2lb this past year. He is pretty mature for his age and probably would do ok harnessed but I'd prefer waiting just a bit longer. He only rides in my husband's car occasionally and usually only the 1 mile from home to preschool but during the summer they do go further sometimes (30 minutes top).

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I think that's totally reasonable.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!