Question How to get the newest seat

U

Unregistered

I'm planning to buy the Chicco Next Fit Zip in the next couple of months as my baby is about to outgrow her Keyfit 30. When I order or buy it in person, I want to get the "freshest" seat. I don't want the one that's been sitting on the shelf for the past year+. It's $300, I want all the years! I contacted Chicco to see if they had any recommendations and this was their response:
The NextFit Zip car seats have an 8-year life span. Unfortunately, we have no control over how long a retailer has Chicco products in their inventory. We recommend that you contact the retailer to see if they are able to provide assistance.
...Ok. I asked if buying directly from them would get me a newer seat and the response was, "call customer service". I haven't called yet.
Question 1: Is there a way to order to ensure I'll get something newer and not the one that's been bracing the backdoor at the warehouse?
Question 2: What is an acceptable age for a seat in your opinion?
Thanks for your help!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi!

I've found that larger retailers have a higher "churn rate" and tend to have newer inventory. Within 6 months is generally considered pretty "fresh." I've had good luck buying off Amazon. The one time I got an old seat I emailed and explained that I was disappointed to pay full price and have already lost a year (10% in this case) off the life, they emailed back offering a 20% discount. That was more than fair for me- if a seat is discounted, it's fair to have some life gone. And they offer free returns so there's always the option to send it back.

If you can find it in person, you can look at the date on the box before buying. But of course not many places will have it in store.

U

Unregistered

I've had really good luck in recent years ordering off Albee Baby. My seats have always been within 6 months. I was planning to buy the Nextfit zip myself but after looking at their newest seat Fit4 I decided to go with that one. Bonus is its brand new so it should be a freshly produced seat :) I love the fact it goes into a booster seat too so hopefully I wont need to buy another seat in the future.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You'll likely find that you do either want or need another booster after, but it should last a good long time. Enjoy!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC