Has anyone read this terrifying article about Evenflo Big Kid?

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

Yes, this really makes you want to harness forever, doesn’t it? I do think we need to keep some things in mind, though.

First, we all know that manufacturers are for-profit businesses, just like the companies that make our medicines and our foods. They want to sell more of their products, so they make marketing decisions within the regulations to do so. We have to be savvy consumers and remember this point.

Second, manufacturers do listen to customers and others in the CPS community. Seats have gotten better over time, not only through competition and regulation, but because we want them to be better and our voices are heard.

Third, retention of the child is important because it keeps them from flying out of the vehicle, which we know is even more dangerous. The coming federal regulations are only for FF harnessed seats, so internal testing will still be important with boosters.

Next, the article states that the crashes discussed were extremely severe. Not even the current federal standards require testing for such severe forces, even in frontal crashes. And most side-impact collisions have a component of forward motion. No seat can keep a child safe in every situation. Parents have to be able to afford the seats too, or they might not use them at all which is the worst option.

Finally, this article does tons of finger-pointing without any research into ideas to improve the situation beyond shaming manufacturers. The AAP has guidelines, but pediatricians don’t talk about them enough. I know my office only mentioned when it was legal to FF my kid, nothing about best practice. The preschool did a better job, saying all children attending the school should still be harnessed. There are huge gaps in education of parents, and most won’t seek it out. I honestly don’t mind low weight limits as the parent of a small, slim kid. Maybe ages should be made more prominent on packing rather than just weights. Most kids outgrow seats by height, so maybe that should be featured too. I don’t have all the answers, but it really bugs me when someone goes around pointing out problems without proposing any kind of action or solution to fix it. Ok, rant over.

I just want everyone to see all sides, not just the author’s view.

penguingrooves

Evenflo willfully hid their seats' limitations because they wanted more people to buy their seats and misled the public in the process while other companies chose to not claim their boosters to be safe for children under 40 lbs. Evenflo's internal testing standards were also low.

That being said, yeah, it's hard to tell if the paralyzed children wouldn't be paralyzed in harnessed seats after their serious car accidents. Also, harnessing all riders could cause other problems, like the head not moving with the torso during an accident. Then, we're also dealing with unregulated aftermarket equipment/system.

Over a decade ago, my friend sent out a group email updating about his almost-1-year twins. He wrote the twins recently started FFing because their pediatrician recommended it. I wrote back about how his kids should be RFing, but he told me to keep my opinion to myself. Thankfully, they weren't in any car accidents, and pediatricians, along with the public) are better informed these days. I'm lucky our pediatrician supports RFing as long as possible. My almost-8-year-old is still RFing, hahaha. But, he's tiny and is barely over 40 lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC