Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member penguingrooves's Avatar

Has anyone read this terrifying article about Evenflo Big Kid?

The article is about how Evenflo continued to claim their highback booster was safe for kids under 40 lbs and provided side-impact protection. This makes me want to 5-point-harness my kids until, well, forever. Maybe everyone, including adults, should all be 5-point-harnessed when on the road.

https://www.propublica.org/article/e...r-child-safety
    sprog #1: age 12 in a mifold.
    sprog #2: age 9 in a mifold.
    sprog #3: age 7 in a RF britax MT.
    marriage partner #1 and me all squished in a honda fit. i don't recommend our arrangement, so if you have 3 kiddos, get a bigger car.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Has anyone read this terrifying article about Evenflo Big Kid?

Yes, this really makes you want to harness forever, doesn’t it? I do think we need to keep some things in mind, though.

First, we all know that manufacturers are for-profit businesses, just like the companies that make our medicines and our foods. They want to sell more of their products, so they make marketing decisions within the regulations to do so. We have to be savvy consumers and remember this point.

Second, manufacturers do listen to customers and others in the CPS community. Seats have gotten better over time, not only through competition and regulation, but because we want them to be better and our voices are heard.

Third, retention of the child is important because it keeps them from flying out of the vehicle, which we know is even more dangerous. The coming federal regulations are only for FF harnessed seats, so internal testing will still be important with boosters.

Next, the article states that the crashes discussed were extremely severe. Not even the current federal standards require testing for such severe forces, even in frontal crashes. And most side-impact collisions have a component of forward motion. No seat can keep a child safe in every situation. Parents have to be able to afford the seats too, or they might not use them at all which is the worst option.

Finally, this article does tons of finger-pointing without any research into ideas to improve the situation beyond shaming manufacturers. The AAP has guidelines, but pediatricians don’t talk about them enough. I know my office only mentioned when it was legal to FF my kid, nothing about best practice. The preschool did a better job, saying all children attending the school should still be harnessed. There are huge gaps in education of parents, and most won’t seek it out. I honestly don’t mind low weight limits as the parent of a small, slim kid. Maybe ages should be made more prominent on packing rather than just weights. Most kids outgrow seats by height, so maybe that should be featured too. I don’t have all the answers, but it really bugs me when someone goes around pointing out problems without proposing any kind of action or solution to fix it. Ok, rant over.

I just want everyone to see all sides, not just the author’s view.
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer and a SureRide
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted soft carrier

4. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member penguingrooves's Avatar

Re: Has anyone read this terrifying article about Evenflo Big Kid?

Evenflo willfully hid their seats' limitations because they wanted more people to buy their seats and misled the public in the process while other companies chose to not claim their boosters to be safe for children under 40 lbs. Evenflo's internal testing standards were also low.

That being said, yeah, it's hard to tell if the paralyzed children wouldn't be paralyzed in harnessed seats after their serious car accidents. Also, harnessing all riders could cause other problems, like the head not moving with the torso during an accident. Then, we're also dealing with unregulated aftermarket equipment/system.

Over a decade ago, my friend sent out a group email updating about his almost-1-year twins. He wrote the twins recently started FFing because their pediatrician recommended it. I wrote back about how his kids should be RFing, but he told me to keep my opinion to myself. Thankfully, they weren't in any car accidents, and pediatricians, along with the public) are better informed these days. I'm lucky our pediatrician supports RFing as long as possible. My almost-8-year-old is still RFing, hahaha. But, he's tiny and is barely over 40 lbs.

Carseat Crazy

Re: Has anyone read this terrifying article about Evenflo Big Kid?

Here's a good response article too.

https://carseatblog.com/49859/side-i...O8KaQNLRNa6Urk
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer and a SureRide
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted soft carrier

7. Thank You from: