Question on Britax frontier harness mode to booster mode

U

Unregistered

How easy (or difficult!) would it be to convert a Britax Frontier clicktight from harness mode to booster mode and vice versa somewhat regularly (say 1x/week or so)? My daughter needs to vehicle belt, but if it’s my son in the seat, he needs the harness. Trying to avoid purchasing an additional seat if possible. But if it’s way too much of a hassle, I would probably rather just purchase an additional seat for one of them.

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

If there aren’t other seats/children that complicate things, I would choose to get a booster and use the Frontier harnessed. How old/tall/heavy are the kids in question?

U

Unregistered

Thank you for your response! It is actually quite a bit more complicated than that... we have a 7.5 year old (53 pounds, 49.5 in), an almost 5 year old (39 pounds, 43 in), an almost 3 year old (34 pounds, 36 in), and a new baby on the way! I feel our 5 year old still needs to be harnessed based on both his skinny stature/weight and (im)maturity to sit correctly. Currently in my vehicle, my 7.5 year old is still harnessed in a Britax Frontier CT; as a result of the Consumer Reports testing in which that seat had crash test failure, I would have already switched it to booster mode, but she sits three across and it’s tight- no room to reach down for the buckle easily. My almost 5 year old and almost 3 year old each sit in a Britax Boulevard CT.

The issue is finding a good configuration in my husband’s truck. We want to have seats for at least two of the kids designated for his truck to limit the switching back and forth. We currently have a Britax Highpoint (highback only I believe) for my 7.5 year old, and an almost expiring (and disliked) Britax Roundabout. We want to replace the Roundabout for sure in the very near future. We plan to get a minivan soon, so one option is to get a second highback booster for my 7.5 year old for the van (the other in the truck), and move one of the Boulevards to the truck. In the van, that would mean 7.5 year old in highback booster, almost 5 year old in Britax Frontier harnessed, and almost 3 year old stays in second Boulevard. In the truck would be the second highback booster and a Boulevard. Sounds good, EXCEPT, that means that if my almost 5 year old and almost 3 year old are together in the truck (which is probably the most frequent combo at the moment, but still only 1-2x/week, and generally only on 25 mph roads for 2ish miles or less), my 5 year old would have to sit in the highback booster unharnessed. He is also technically speaking still one pound off of the bare minimum weight requirement. Where the truck rides are generally so short and generally only on 25 mph roads, should this be fine, or should I really be considering a harnessed seat option for him, which I feel he definitely still requires on average (he’s an active, wiggly little guy!)? If he really should be in a harnessed seat in the truck as well, I think I would probably need to find a backless booster option for the truck for my daughter as well, since her height and weight seem to be above most harnessed boosters on the market. The Frontier was the best bet in terms of them both being able to use the seat with little adjustment, but I am nervous about that for her given the Consumer Reports info. Ugh! 🤪

Then we throw the new baby into the mix and fast forward to next year when we transition to a convertible car seat... that could mean moving the Boulevard from my husband’s truck back into the van for the 1 year old baby and potentially needing to buy yet another car seat for the truck! It would be great to figure out the most logical, financially savvy way to buy the least number of car seats!! Oy vey. If you have made it this far, kudos to you for reading all of this and trying to make sense of it all. My head is sure spinning. 😂

MelodyoftheForest

Is the 3 year old RF or FF? I will assume they will be FF in a year.

The Frontier is fine if using it according to directions. The CR test is super intense, more than an overwhelming majority of crashes, so do what works for you!

I would use what you have between the van and the truck and pick up an inexpensive backless booster. So, Highpoint, Frontier, Boulevard and infant seat in the van. Frontier, Boulevard, backless booster in the truck. It sounds like the baby is unlikely to be in the truck, but if you put that Boulevard RF, the baby could use it once it’s big enough to not need the extra padding in it.

In a year, you’ll have to assess the 5 yo again for booster readiness. Assuming the 3yo is FF then, I would use the Boulevards RF for the baby in each vehicle. Then you can decide if you can pass down the Frontiers to the third child and the HBB to the second child. If you can pass everything down, that could mean just buying another booster of some kind in a year.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Thanks again for your response!

My almost 3 year old is still rear facing.

Maybe I will look into getting a second harness to booster for my car for my almost 5 year old and move the frontier to the truck for he and my 7.5 year old to share since they aren’t often riding at the same time and the 7.5 year old is technically still within the weight and height limits for the frontier harness.

christines1471

I will say if you go for a harness to booster but want not use for it I love my Graco milestone. It easily, like in less than a minute, is converted from harness to booster with just a few unsnap/snap and storing the harness parts inside.

The advantage would be you could use with one of your smaller children later if the older outgrow it since it goes rf as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC