Question Manual transmission

U

Unregistered

Please guide us to a car seat that can be used with a manual transmission truck. The truck needs to fit 2 adults and an infant seat. Is there a really small car seat that can go in the center and allow the gear shift to be used? The truck is a 1990 Nissan Hardbody.

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

From photos online it looks like the driver and passenger seats have head restraints and lap-shoulder belts. So we do want to keep the adults in those two seats where they are most protected. It also looks like you don't have airbags (correct me if I'm wrong), so having a rear-facing seat in the middle wouldn't be in danger from them. Are you set on an infant seat, or might you consider using a convertible from birth? Just picturing it in my mind, an infant seat with a base seems like it would be more likely to interfere with the shifter than the right convertible. Do you have a budget in mind?

U

Unregistered

Yes, we have an infant seat and the base definitely is a no-go. Can the all in ones face forward with an infant? The gear shift is the type that comes about 20 inches out of the floor. When in the upper gears, the knob rests over the seat a little. Would like to keep price under $150 if that's possible.

MelodyoftheForest

First, no, you absolutely cannot forward-face an infant. Babies need the support of a RF seat at a proper angle for airway safety and crash protection.

Can you measure from the crack in the seat to the point where the shifter is all the way back? We have to deal with pretty shallow seats sometimes, so that might help us with recommendations.

lgenne

I suspect a Cosco Scenera NEXT will work best for you.

Others that might work in your price range: Graco Contender, Graco Extend2Fit/Sequel, Evenflo Sonus, Evenflo Sureride.

(I haven’t pulled out a tape measure on any of these, so double check me, anyone who can.)

U

Unregistered

Thank you much for a narrowed starting point. I'll check out the suggested carseats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC