Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

HBB for 3rd row Mazda CX-9

Please help! I need a high back booster seat recommendation for the third row of my 2012 Mazda CX-9. Here are the child stats:

Stats: Age - 7
    Height 45.5"
    Weight 50lbs

I have tried the Graco Tranzitions, Graco Turbobooster, Evenflo Spectrum, and Evenflo Amp. Both of the Graco seats had a gap between the booster and the car seat due to the headrest, which cannot be removed. The Evenflo Spectrum was extremely difficult to buckle, the seatbelt kept getting caught in the guide, and tilted to the side when he was riding in it. The Amp is a little better, but uncomfortable for long rides. There HAS to be a better option, but I don't want to keep buying seats and returning them after I find out they won't work.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: HBB for 3rd row Mazda CX-9

Hi! The seatbelts and head restraints in that third row can definitely be problematic. There aren't a lot of good options especially in the lower end of booster price range. In what way is the Amp uncomfortable? Have you tried giving him a lightweight safe object as a foot rest (foam cooler, sleeping bag, inflatable footrest etc) which often alleviates booster discomfort?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Thanks for the reply. I think it's the lack of padding that makes it uncomfortable. But he may just need to deal with it, as I'm not finding anything else that will work back there...

What are the mid-upper price range boosters that would work back there?

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Mid range you could try the Diono Cambria or Maxi-Cosi Rodifix; higher priced the Nuns Aace or Peg Perego boosters. I would give the foot rest a shot though- most boosters don't have a lot of padding.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!