Toddler + Newborn Twins = Do I need a minivan and which one :)

Dave

Good morning!
I'm looking for guidance on the best car seats and vehicle for my quickly growing family - newborn twins and a 3 year old. Three rear facing seats in my 2016 dodge durango with 2nd row captains chairs seems like an unsustainable solution. Optimally I would like to keep my three year old rear facing as long as possible to ensure he's as safe as possible. I imagine this means a minivan may be in my future but, from what I have found, many would have similar challenges to my Durango. Can anyone out there provide some first hand experience or general guidance on approaching three rear facing smartly and also maintaining some cargo room? Which vehicles and Which car seats have worked for you? And in what arrangement?

Thanks so much!
Dave

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi Dave. You're correct that with some minivans you'll run into the same issues with 2nd row captain's chair seating. The Honda Odyssey seems to be the best options for 3-across the 2nd row from what I've read; I've never owned one. The definite advantage to a minivan is the sliding doors. When we had our Sienna many years ago, they were truly awesome, and vans are like mini apartments on wheels.

Another advantage to a minivan, if you find one you like where you can't do 3-across, is to remove one of the captain's chairs and put 2 of the kids in the 3rd row. This allows you to step in and buckle everyone from inside.

Since your 3 yr old will probably be turned FF sooner rather than later, if you decide to look at new vehicles, look at top tether anchor placement since that will determine where you can place his carseat safely. I'd caution you against the Town & Country van if you're looking at used, Dodge Grand Caravan, and the Chrysler Pacifica. They all have major issues with the 3rd row and carseats/booster seats.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hi Dave! Congratulations on your growing family!

I have had a Honda Odyssey (2019) since October and I have to say I'm totally in love with it. I have had two car seats installed in the second row (passenger side and middle) with plenty of room for a third adult to sit next to them. No seatbelt overlap or digging for buckles next to the seats -- everything installed smoothly. (I did select narrow seats, so for maximum comfort I would recommend that you look at the Diono Radians, Graco Slimfit or Chicco Keyfit seats.) I have also had two seats in the second row and a third in the third row. My kiddos are forward-facing now, but I don't think rear-facing would be an issue either, as the second row seats are very adjustable and you can set them far enough back that there is tons of front-back room for a rear-facing seat.

cookie123

Also avoid the VW Routan. I don't know if they have newer models that are different, but my daughter had one a few years ago and it's pretty much the same as the Grand Caravan.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC