Posted for Guest: Safest airport transfer shuttle vs. SUV

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Posted for Guest:

My question is not about carseats per se, but I'm hoping you can help me. We are planning a vacation to the Bahamas with our three kids, ages 4.5, 8.5, and a petite 11-year old. I'm bringing backless boosters for all the kids (2 Bubble Bums and 1 MiFold), even though the 4 year old rides in a harnessed seat at home.

My question is about transportation from the airport to the resort (where we'll stay for the whole trip). Are typical shuttles/vans really unsafe? Hiring an SUV (which I assume has airbags) is over double the price. I don't mind, but want to be sure the expense is justified.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It may be worth some investigation. Some shuttles are large buses and some are old vans with no head restraint and no shoulder belts. There's a huge difference in safety between the two.

You might want to contact the company providing the shuttle and see if they can tell you the type of vehicle they use and provide some details.

Dillipop

If the shuttle is either a bus or a current large vehicle with shoulder belts and head restraints, then I'd probably use the shuttle. But if it's something else, I'd consider renting a vehicle.

Since you're taking bubblebums and a mifold, is there a reason you need to rent an SUV? We usually rent a compact and put 3 kids across the back if it's just me and the kids now that we're down to 1 booster and 1 carseat. If my husband is with us, we have to jump to the minivan, as there are 6 of us.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC