Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

How to keep drivers belt tight

Hello,

I have sensory issues and have always preferred my drivers seatbelt to be tight around me. Since it doesn’t lock like the rear seats, is there a safe way to keep it tight? Would a bet shortening clip from the car manufacturer be safe to use? I have a 2020 Subaru Legacy.

Thank you,

Jeff

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: How to keep drivers belt tight

I would say it is NOT safe to use a belt-shortening clip for this purpose unless approved by the vehicle manufacturer. For one thing, it would only keep the lap portion of the belt tight and would do nothing to keep the shoulder belt section snug. In the same manner, it could defeat any force limiting or other safety features incorporated into the lap belt section of the driver's seat belt. These are designed specifically with airbags in mind and anything that defeats them could be a safety hazard. This no doubt varies by vehicle and seatbelt designs. I hope someone can offer you a different solution.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: How to keep drivers belt tight

There's really not a safe way to alter the tightness of the seatbelt without altering its function, which is dangerous.

As I suggested in the other thread about this issue, you might consider tight undergarments or speak to an OT about a compression or weighted vest for calming sensory input instead.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

5. Thank You from: