Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Cool 2019 MDX + Maxi Cosi Mico 30? Advice...

Hey y'all - I haven't logged into cs.org in years, but here I am with an almost 9-year-old and an almost newborn!!

DH and I bought a 2019 Acura MDX A-spec for our family car and I got a killer deal on a Maxi Cosi Travel system... but the seat takes up so much room front-to-back that my 9 months preggo self is up against the steering wheel and he's 6'4" so if he's driving, new baby cannot ride behind driver's seat. The reason I want new baby there is because my 9yr old is in the back seat on the passenger side and her school has car circle opening back door on passenger side (she is in a Chicco LBB).

My question, because I'm having another large baby anyway, and I only used my older daughter's infant bucket seat for 3 months before going to RF Convertible bc she hated her bucket seat, is it worth buying a different, smaller bucket seat? If so, what are some of the smallest ones? I did some searching and its unclear from product dimensions that vary from site to site, but I don't want to just order a few to test them out on Amazon and have to return them (and I think they don't resell returned seats?? Hate to waste them.)

Also, yes I have the seat moved back as much as possible. Yes its on the base. Angle correct (line parallel to the ground), etc.

Our other 2 cars, which will be used much less than the MDX, are 2015 BMW 328i and 2011 Ford F-150... so bonus if it works well with ALL cars, lol but Acura is main concern!

seat-mdx.jpg

TIA!!!
    M Dec 2010, 93 lbs, 49.5 in | Chicco LBB
    E Dec 2019, in utero | Nuna Pipa Lite, Maxi Cosi Mico 30, Diono Radian RXT (for later)
    2019 Acura MDX A-spec
    2015 BMW 328i Msport
    2011 Ford F-150 SuperCrew

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: 2019 MDX + Maxi Cosi Mico 30? Advice...

Yeah, the Mico is huge front to back. Sorry you got one of the biggest.

The Urbini Sonti is one of the most compact and affordable, but I think it only comes in a travel system. However, I think you can get it, even with a stroller, for about $100. So it's something to consider. You may be able to donate the stroller. I'd also look at the Graco Snugride, Chicco KeyFit, Britax B Safe 35. Or, just go straight to the convertible.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

4. Thank You from:

Re: 2019 MDX + Maxi Cosi Mico 30? Advice...

Thanks, Wendy! Yeah I had no idea the Mico 30 was so big - my sister came by and she has a Nuna Pipa Lite and oddly enough it clicks right into the Maxi Cosi stroller and it's MUCH smaller than the Mico so I went ahead and bought a black Pipa to go with the Maxi Cosi Zelia stroller that was part of the Mico Travel system! Problem quickly solved, and it will be here a week before I'm due thanks again for your help, I was about to buy a whole new travel system and take the hit on the one I already got since I tossed the box last month!!

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    Yeah, the Mico is huge front to back. Sorry you got one of the biggest.

The Urbini Sonti is one of the most compact and affordable, but I think it only comes in a travel system. However, I think you can get it, even with a stroller, for about $100. So it's something to consider. You may be able to donate the stroller. I'd also look at the Graco Snugride, Chicco KeyFit, Britax B Safe 35. Or, just go straight to the convertible.

Wendy
    M Dec 2010, 93 lbs, 49.5 in | Chicco LBB
    E Dec 2019, in utero | Nuna Pipa Lite, Maxi Cosi Mico 30, Diono Radian RXT (for later)
    2019 Acura MDX A-spec
    2015 BMW 328i Msport
    2011 Ford F-150 SuperCrew