Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Unhappy 2009 town and country only 3 Tether anchors need 4

I just bought a 2009 Town and Country. I have 4 children in foward facing carseats. But there are only 3 teather anchors. I have tryed calling chrysler and am getting no where. I ha ve had my van for 3 days and cannot transport all my children.
    Does anyone have suggestion or know where another tether anchor can go..a part number? I currently have one child on each of the 2 captains chairs and one in the backrow. who ever the genius at chrysler was that took the extra anchor out of the back row needs a wake up call. I just sold my 2001 Town and Country and it had 3 anchors in the back.
    Anyways any suggestions of how I can get all my children in my car would be appreciated
    thanks

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Re: 2009 town and country only 3 Tether anchors need 4

I just want to post that the IP of the poster is in Ontario, so I'm going to guess that the OP is in Ontario where it is mandatory to tether all ff'ing seats.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

There is *no* way to add an additional tether anchor to that vehicle.

What are the ages/weights/heights of your children... maybe we can figure something else out?

Just brainstorming here...
    Any that are under 35lbs and could be turned rear facing... you don't need a tether anchor in that situation and children are *much* safer rear facing.

Possibly a 5 or 6 year old that is heavy/mature enough to start using a booster seat?

Since the vehicle is only 3 days old, is it possible to return it and go with something more suited to your needs?
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

This topic recently came up in another thread in the Canadian forum and this is a link to the post: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php...8&postcount=31

Typically speaking vehicles which come with tether anchors from the factory can't have more added, but it sounds like it has been possible in the past for Caravan's with factory tether anchors to have them added. Your model year is outside the ones that were discussed with the engineering department, but perhaps if you contact the same dealer they'll be able to look in to something for your model year as well.

What are the ages and weights of your kids? Are any of them under 35lbs and possibly able to rear face? That would post pone the problem for awhile longer anyways - maybe long enough for one of the older ones to be ready for a booster?
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
    This topic recently came up in another thread in the Canadian forum and this is a link to the post: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php...8&postcount=31
    The ones that were possible to add did not have stow n' go in the third row. They used the same platform as the '99 - '00... which is why they were allowed to use the instructions for the '99 - '00 year to add additional tether anchors.

Anything newer than 2004 with the stow n' go in the third row has *no* provisions for adding tether anchors from the information I've been given.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

Quote Originally Posted by twinbabies View Post
    I just bought a 2009 Town and Country. I have 4 children in foward facing carseats. But there are only 3 teather anchors. I have tryed calling chrysler and am getting no where. I ha ve had my van for 3 days and cannot transport all my children.
    Does anyone have suggestion or know where another tether anchor can go..a part number? I currently have one child on each of the 2 captains chairs and one in the backrow. who ever the genius at chrysler was that took the extra anchor out of the back row needs a wake up call. I just sold my 2001 Town and Country and it had 3 anchors in the back.
    Anyways any suggestions of how I can get all my children in my car would be appreciated
    thanks
    I hear your pain! We wanted to buy the new Town and Country but couldn't because I also need more tehters! So, now we're looking at the 8 passenger Sienna. We'll have to buy an 05' but at least I'll get more tethers. Good luck and I hope it works out.

I have 4 year old twins that are in the 38-39 pound range and I have 2 year old twins that one is 34 and one is 36 pounds.
    I am in Ontario so as far as I know to be legal all seats must be tethered.
    I have had one dealership tell me it is safe to double up car seats on the tether anchor in the third row. One is talking with chrysler and i have been hung up on a few times.
    there is no option to return the van unless I want to loose $10000 therefor not an option.

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

No, no, you cannot double up the tethers!

I would contact Ez-On for information about aftermarket anchors.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Quote Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
    No, no, you cannot double up the tethers!

I would contact Ez-On for information about aftermarket anchors.

Ez-On..have not heard of them??? do you have more info?

I was just repeating what the dealer told me..You would hope they would know something about their cars ...then again you would think they would put anchors on the back bench for more then one kid

Quote Originally Posted by twinbabies View Post
    I was just repeating what the dealer told me..You would hope they would know something about their cars ...then again you would think they would put anchors on the back bench for more then one kid
    We've heard this story from someone else just recently and I'm pretty sure that TC is investigating right now... doubling up is absolutely not permitted.

I would pm Allport to see if she has any suggestions.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

Thanks. I just need to be able to put all my kids in the van together. i cant even go do the grocery shopping right now ..

Any chance you have a 35lbs rear facing seat that the 34lbs child could go Rfing in for now... it won't really buy you any time, but it will let you go out and get groceries.

I would also double and triple check into the laws on returning a vehicle that clearly won't work for you. You said it's only 3 days old... so still less than a week and I thought there were provisions for this in the law (maybe that's just for lemon vehicles)? Or is this just a buyer beware situation where you need to make sure the vehicle will fit all your children before purchasing?
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

my understanding of the law is your screwed when you walk off the lot unless there is something seriously wrong with the car. there are alot more provisions for used cars. Stupid me I had a 2001 town and country and it had all the tether anchors so i didnt even look.

is it safe to go aftermarked to get anchors put in?

The dealership I have been talking with called last night to say that they were in discussions with chrysler safety and hoped to have figured this out soon. Hopefully I will get something sometime soon from somewhere as a solution to this issue.!

Unregistered1

What seating positions are the children in? Is temporary tethering legal in Canada? That might be an option, at least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by MissKatie View Post
    What seating positions are the children in? Is temporary tethering legal in Canada? That might be an option, at least for now.
    What do you mean by temporary tethering????

You can often tether to the male end of a seatbelt in the row behind; however, I don't think that will help because you already have tethers in both second row seating positions.

The dealership just got back to me about their solution it would apear that they do have one but and either do not make it public knowledge or due to alot of people complaining have just recently come up with a solution as it has take me a week with the parts manager to get this answer.
    They apparently have a strap that attaches to the leg of the bench at the back.. You take the bolt off of the bench where it attached to the car..this strap fits on then you rebolt it to the floor of the van. the part costs $180.
    I am wanting the input of others before I go ordering this strap as I dont want to spent 180$ on something unsafe.
    I think I have explained it correctly but without seeing it it is not as easyto describe...
    Thoughts...input.!!!!

The other idea they seemed to have if i didnt wish to spend the money..was to run the tether strap under the back bench and then attach it to the spot you would attach a RF seat teather on the seat in front ( the captains chair) but is that not where I would have the seat on the captains chair tethered in the first place? I dont think this idea is safe but throwing it out there...I am guessing the way to go is the part in my previous post but want some input

I am not really comfortable with what the dealership is suggesting: they don't seem to be very knowledgeable about tethering. I would try to get in touch with Chrysler corporate.