Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    CPS Fanatic

Ideas for harnessed seat

I need a harnessed seat that can work for both my 7 year old and my almost 5 year old, and switch between them easily. Bonus for low cost, easy to use, low profile (not filling too much of the rear window), and long lasting, particularly for the younger one.

Stats:

7 year old: 55 lbs, wears boys size 6-7 shirts

Almost 5 year old: 45 lbs, wears size 4-5 shirts

We have a Radian filling the role today, but itís expiring in 6 months, I donít love it, and the 7 year old is really cramped in it. His shoulders are slightly above the top harness slot, and his shoulders are cramped.

Iím thinking Sureride. (I own one. It got lost during a grandma to grandma transfer a couple of years ago. ) Anything else I should be considering?

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Ideas for harnessed seat

I just realized that the harness would have to be on the top slot for the 7 year old, and would be ridiculously high for the younger kid. Other ideas?

I have and love my graco milestone. I'm not sure if the harness would be high enough but it adjusts up/down so easily. I switch one between a 2.5yr old, almost 5 and a 6.5 yr old depending on the day.

6. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

I really donít need a MilestoneóIím using it FF only. Iím considering a Tranzitions or an Atlas. Opinions on those, or suggestions for anything else in that price range?

CPS Technician

How tall is the 7yo and how long do you see this set up needing to work for? What vehicle will it be in? All the Graco harnesses will max out at 49Ē. That could be an issue for many 7-year-olds. Could you do something like a BubbleBum or Graco RightGuide for the 7yo and store it on the floor when not being used?

9. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

3rd row of a Mazda 5, where I canít get a booster to work at all. It needs to work for the 7 year old for about a year. Heís too tall for the Gracos already, good call there.

11. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

Oh, and I want it to last as long as possible for the youngest. I pretty much need a new car once I canít harness anyone back there.

Now Iím thinking Harmony Defender.

13. Thank You from:

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

With the shoulders above the top harness height in the Radian, you're not getting much time out of a Defender. Probably not a year. But maybe. My guess would be maybe six months, tops.

If you want low cost, I'd go with the SureRide.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

15. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

Is it ok to have the younger kid in the Sureride with the harness on the top slots, even if his shoulders are like an inch below the second slots?

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Evenflo says at or above and closest to.

There really isn't a unicorn seat that does exactly what you want. Unless you can get your hands on a Britax Frontier before they sell out of stock, but that isn't low cost.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

CPS Technician

A Chicco MyFit could work. You can usually get them for about $160 from places like Albee Baby with a 20% off coupon code.