Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Seat for 2010 Odyssey, 2nd row

I'm wondering what kind of seats I could anticipate working on the 2nd row 2010 Odyssey "mini-seat"? Looking to purchase a new-to-us vehicle tomorrow. Our extremely tall 5yo is currently in a harnessed seat (chicco myfit). She's almost 6, and we could think about transitioning her to a high back booster. But what boosters would fit a tall kiddo on a dinky seat?

I don't know if the 2010 has the feature where the captains chairs on either side of the dinky seat can be scooted sideways to create more center room - maybe some of you will know the answer to that.

Thanks for any suggestions! Oh. Our daughter will still have a harnessed seat in the other vehicle, so the Odyssey/booster arrangement would be for shorter trips, learning how to sit, etc.
    DS1, 15yo, 5 steps
    DS2, 14yo, 5 steps
    DS3, 13yo, 5 steps
    DD, 11yo, backless booster
    DD, 5yo, 52 lbs, harnessed in a Chicco MyFit, just outgrew Clicktight Blvd.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Seat for 2010 Odyssey, 2nd row

Yes, the 2010 has the feature where the small center seat can be removed and the passenger side captain’s chair moved to the “middle”. I don’t think there are any high back boosters that will work well on the small removable center seat.

If you move a captain’s chair to the middle, I know a few booster manufacturers have said no to using the outboard passenger seat belt once the passenger side seat has been moved to the middle. Moving the captain’s chair is really best for a LATCH installed seat. Since all of your kids are older, I don’t think you’d get much usage out of that feature.

Can you just put her in one of the captain’s chairs? That would make things a lot easier.

CPS Technician

I have an '09 Oddy and was a CPST. I also have an almost 6 year old.

The outboard seatbelt is not good for a booster seat with the captains chair moved to the center. Even if it were allowed, I would not use it that way. It does not fit correctly, impedes the third row, and is very difficult for a young child to reach & buckle.

Just use the captains chair in it's regular position (outboard) in a booster. The narrow middle seat is only good for a harnessed seat. It's nearly impossible to buckle most boosters there properly or safely.

The Oddy is very safe. If your child is a healthy almost 6 year old of normal size, she's quite safe in a high back booster in an Oddy. 😉

Hths
    henrietta
    former CPST & Mom extraordinaire of 2 rowdy little boys & 1 spunky girl toddler, among hundreds of other skills!
    #1, age 9.5, Harmony Literider or Transit backless booster, occasional Safety First Incognito
    #2, age 6.5, Cybex Xfit booster/Harmony folding travel booster/Evenflo hbb
    #3 age 15 months, Britax Advocate CT/Combi Cocorro

CPS Technician

And btw, your 13 year old may fit comfortably in that center dinky seat and your 11 year old may 5 step there if she is tall enough. My smallish 11 year old 5 steps there and in the third row of the Oddy just fine. The middle second row seat doesn't have great lap belt fit though.

I have a 14 year old who is adult sized, an 11 year old who is 57" and 75 lbs, and an almost 6 year old who is 44" and almost 40 lbs.

Good luck!!

CPS Technician

I need to update my signature! Lol I had that last baby & then became seriously disabled...time for an update! Lol