Car Seat Harness Too Tight?

SoyBaby

Hi everyone,
I strap my child (6months) in the car seat and I ensure that she passes the pinch test however I am afraid the car seat straps are too tight on her. We originally were using Chicco Key Fit 30 and the straps would leave marks and dig into her neck (even with the strap protectors on), we adjusted the strap harness to make sure it was in the correct spot but this continued to happen.

We just bought the Britax Marathon Dual Comfort and today when we went out she was SCREAMING and was difficult to calm down even after taking her out of the car seat. I performed the pinch test because obviously it is important for me for her to be strapped in safely but when I took her out she did have marks (indentations) where the straps lay. This makes me so anxious because I don't know how to know if it's too tight and I definitely don't want it to be too loose either so I feel like I can't win! Any help would be appreciated.

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi. I'd say that if the straps are leaving marks on her neck even with the harness pads on then the harness is too snug. You shouldn't be able to take a pinch of the harness above the chest clip when it's positioned at armpit level. It works out to be about an average woman's finger's width of space under the harness at the shoulder. There will always be space under the harness at the belly, so don't worry about space there. Here's a graphic of the pinch test in case a picture helps.

Attachments

• Pinch Test.jpg
    Pinch Test.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If you're scared you're overtightening, try the reverse pinch test.

Pinch the material, and hold it while you tighten the harness. When the material pulls out, double check that there's nothing you can pinch, and then you're done. Don't go further.

If you've been overtightening, it'll probably feel panic inducingly loose. But it's passing the pinch test and it's fine.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC