Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

FF and booster in a 2017 Kia Sedona

We’re on the verge of purchasing a 2017 Kia Sedona SX+.

Stats:
    Kid 1
    3yr 8mo
    38lbs
    43” ish inches tall
    Wearing about a 5T
    FF

Current available seats:
    Diono Radian (she’s on the top slot)
    Evenflo SureRide (I do like to keep this as a backup seat)
    Graco Tranzitions (this is in my MIL’s car, the Radian is incompatible with her vehicle and she drives her at least once a week)

Kid 2
    8 next month
    68lbs, 53.5”
    In a HBB

Current available seats:
    Diono Cambria
    Evenflo Big Kid - standing height limit of 57” on this one is something I suspect he will outgrow before he’s ready to be out of a booster.

From a CPST friend, I’ve been told the Radian will likely only work in the third row, as will the Diono booster. What’s my best configuration to have both kids in the second row captains chairs? My MILs vehicle, for reference, is a 2017 Honda CR-V EX.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: FF and booster in a 2017 Kia Sedona

Hi! To clarify, would you like recommendations of different seats?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Moderator - CPS Technician

Re: FF and booster in a 2017 Kia Sedona

To use a booster you'll need to have one that can work with the tilted head rests, or you can go backless, which would be easier. Offhand I don't know of highback boosters that work with a tilted head rest. Removing the head rest is an option but would be a little tricky because of the way they are attached. As a result it would be a bit of a hassle to put them back ON when you need them, so I'd do that only if you are willing to go to the trouble.

I'm guessing it would be easier to find a FF harness seat that will work since they tend to be shorter. Have you tried any of your seats there?
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava