Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Bubblebum or MiFold for travel?

We have a couple of upcoming airplane trips with our kiddos, and were planning to carry on our Cosco Rise NBB for our oldest who will be 7.

While talking with my mom, she said "It would be so nice if there was a booster that folded up small so you could put it in a bag." When I told her that there are actually 2, but I really don't want to shell out the $25-35 for either a Bubblebum or MiFold that we wouldn't use that often. She surprised me by saying that they would rather have the compact booster in their cars for the 1-2 times a month the kiddos ride with them so they don't always have to have the seat taking up space. They will buy a pair of whatever I find is best for us to use for travel and them to use otherwise.

So... now I am researching compact boosters. From the research I have done it looks like the Bubblebum is a bit more comfortable and better fit to more kiddos/vehicles, but the MiFold may last longer and folds up smaller? I am leaning toward the Bubblebum, but any opinions would be appreciated.

Kiddo: Almost 7 YO, 52" 60lb
    Vehicles: PT Cruiser Convertible, Nissan Frontier Pickup, various rental cars
    Big Boy G: 11/6/2012, 53lb/49", Evenflo Procomfort RightFit HBB, Evenflo Big Kid HBB
    Little Bro C - 12/4/2015, 32lb/38" Graco Nautilus 65 Safety Surround, Graco Atlas 65
    Extra Seats: Graco Nautilus 65, Cosco Apt 50, Evenflo Maestro, Harmony Defender, Graco Turbobooster NBB, Cosco Rise NBB

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member rachelandtyke's Avatar

Re: Bubblebum or MiFold for travel?

We have never tried the Mifold, but have had good success with the Bubblebum in a variety of vehicles and have traveled with it via plane multiple times. It fit right in one of our backpacks that we took on the plane.
    DD1: 14, finally five-stepping!
    DS: 10, LBTB, Harmony Youth Booster
    DD2: 6, Chicco KidFit, HBTB w/ SS

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I've never seen the Mifold give good fit and rarely even adequate fit. The BubbleBum has always given excellent fit for kids that size in all vehicles I've tried.

As another option, slightly larger and heavier but good for those who want more leg support or a more traditional seat feel, the Graco Turbobooster TakeAlong backless is a good choice for those parameters.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

My daughter has a bit of PTSD from the ONE time I had her sit in the Mifold one I bought for her to try. She called it the "bad foam booster" (the "good foam booster" is apparently the Safety 1st Incognito). Between the two, the BubbleBum is far more comfortable and more well liked in our house. it is, however, slightly tippy. I agree with the others that the belt fit is more consistently good and easier to use. Both of my kids (one who fit and one who looked at it) tried to use the Mifold backwards. Whereas both instantly used the BubbleBum properly on their own.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

CPS Technician

You should also check out the Graco RightGuide. It would by far be my top pick for a situation like this. It is a little bigger than the MiFold and way easier to use than both Bubblebum and MiFold.

Bubble Bum by far. Just make sure to not over inflate it.