Shortest rear-facing infant car seat?

U

Unregistered

Hi everyone,

My husband and I have a Toyota Tacoma access cab. The vehicle does not have a "true" back seat, however there is a bench seat that can legally be used for passengers or, unfolded, for a car seat.

In order for one of us to fit in the front passenger seat (husband is 6'3") and ensure the car seat is not touching the front seat, I need to find the shortest car seat, front to back, for use in Canada.

We were hoping to buy the Uppababy Mesa however that appears to be 28" front to back, huge for our space.

The shortest car seat I have seen so far is the Cybex Aton (2, I believe). That seat measures in at 25".

Do you know of any shorter car seats?
I would like to have an infant car seat that can be lifted out rather than a convertible. I'm not even worried about cost anymore, because any car seat is cheaper than a whole new car. Really I just need a solution and am open to any suggestion.

Thank you for your help,
Sabrina

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Aton is the most compact. As I recall, though, that bench is extremely problematic for installing seats. I'm going to ask a member with more experience in it to come weigh in.

U

Unregistered

The truck is a 2007.

My husband brought up another good point: we don't believe a "load leg" will work in the truck either.
For two possible reasons: a) the seat is very low and the legs appear rather long and b) the bench seat has a handle that, once bench is unfolded, sits on the floor probably exactly where the foot would stand.

Thank you for your help!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No, I'm sure a load leg won't work. They're not required though.

There's a good chance you'd need to use the seat without a base anyway, as I recall.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC