Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Canada Shortest rear-facing infant car seat?

Hi everyone,

My husband and I have a Toyota Tacoma access cab. The vehicle does not have a "true" back seat, however there is a bench seat that can legally be used for passengers or, unfolded, for a car seat.

In order for one of us to fit in the front passenger seat (husband is 6'3") and ensure the car seat is not touching the front seat, I need to find the shortest car seat, front to back, for use in Canada.

We were hoping to buy the Uppababy Mesa however that appears to be 28" front to back, huge for our space.

The shortest car seat I have seen so far is the Cybex Aton (2, I believe). That seat measures in at 25".

Do you know of any shorter car seats?
    I would like to have an infant car seat that can be lifted out rather than a convertible. I'm not even worried about cost anymore, because any car seat is cheaper than a whole new car. Really I just need a solution and am open to any suggestion.

Thank you for your help,
    Sabrina

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Shortest rear-facing infant car seat?

The Aton is the most compact. As I recall, though, that bench is extremely problematic for installing seats. I'm going to ask a member with more experience in it to come weigh in.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

What year is your truck?

Unregistered

The truck is a 2007.

My husband brought up another good point: we don't believe a "load leg" will work in the truck either.
    For two possible reasons: a) the seat is very low and the legs appear rather long and b) the bench seat has a handle that, once bench is unfolded, sits on the floor probably exactly where the foot would stand.

Thank you for your help!

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

No, I'm sure a load leg won't work. They're not required though.

There's a good chance you'd need to use the seat without a base anyway, as I recall.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!