Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    LoriFitz5

Classic Jeep Lap belt Only

My family has always been in to Jeeps. We just bought a 1980 with a bench seat and lap belts only in the back. Our plan is to drive around the neighborhood but no hwy. We would like to take the kids to school which is only 2 miles but passes over 2 larger roads. We will use it for some trail rides and back country camping but will likely tow it to our local destination.

Iím willing to modify the structure and purchase good seats to make it safer. It did come with 5 pt harness attachments but Iím not sure how those work.

My kids are 8 and 5 (smaller sized). Iím usually really safety conscious but this is also a toy for us. I figure itís at least safer on trails than an ATV or dirt bike and we love being outside.

Can I use my Frontier as a 5 pt harness with just the lap or add a modification? Whatís the best thing to do for my 8 year old (who is ridiculously excited about the Jeep)?

Thanks for your help!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Classic Jeep Lap belt Only

You can use the Jeep with a five point harness.

Sadly, you can't put the kids back there with just a lap belt. The backseat is quite low, so there's no upper body support behind them, unless that's been modified from standard. And without pictures, I'm not sure what kind of five point harness modification you have, and of course none of us can be sure how awesome the modifications are without running it by someone who you trust. Without upper body support behind the kids, though (and this goes for adults as well), even with moderate or worse crashes, there's nothing behind their spines or heads to protect them from whiplash. "Whiplash" as an injury ranges from you putting your hand at your neck and going, "ugh," to death from internal decapitation, so we really want support to the tops of the ears. We all need something behind us. The five point harness modification may be awesome, but unless the back is taller, it's only half of the puzzle.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785