Carseat use while visiting a Drive Through Christmas Lights Park

MomToEliEm

I am not sure if they have these places all over the country, but around here, we have several parks that setup elaborate Christmas light displays and they charge money for cars to drive through the park looking at the lights.

I was talking to a couple of people today and they indicated that their kids would be out of their carseats so they could get a better view of the Christmas lights. One even indicated that they would let the child sit in front of the steering wheel as he loves to "drive" whenever possible. Others load up in the back of the pickup and drive through the park that way.

Most of these Christmas light parks are only 2-4 miles long so not very much distance to drive and everyone drives very slow.

Whenever I take my kids, they are securely fastened in the carseats and seem to have a great view from their windows and never considered letting them out. Accidents can happen anywhere so I don't feel the need to ignore safety issues just because I am driving slowly.

What are your thoughts on drive-through Christmas Light parks? Should kids be allowed out of their carseat so they can see the lights better?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
You just never know when some soul will hit the gas instead of the brakes and cream you...to me, it's not worth the risk...

Jewels

Senior Community Member
When ever our vehicle is moving seatbelts are on and ds is in his carseat.

We drive around looking at Christmas lights and he has never had a problem seeing the lights from his seat.

You are right, collisions happen anywhere and at any speed, personally I wouldn't risk it and would keep the seatbelts on :twocents:

MsFacetious

I agree. My girls have always been in their carseat. I have moved carseats outboard, or turn them forward facing to give them a better view. Then switching it back as soon as we were done, but that is it.

I'm sure we will do it again this year, and they will be in their Regents.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
No way, not worth the risk. Also, letting a kiddo lap-drive behind the wheel :eek: is probably more likely to result in a fender bender with everyone cruising around through the light display in close proximity to other vehicles, distracted and oohing and ahhing at the purty lights.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
No way. Most kids can probably see perfectly fine in their carseats. If they're so desparate for their kids to see the lights well, they can all walk instead of drive. One of the Christmas light display neighborhoods where I live has a walking-only night where no cars are allowed.

SPJ&E

My kids will never be allowed out of their carseats when the car is moving. We took the boys last year to see the lights at our local park and they had no problems seeing the lights, even though both were rear-facing. Pacey was taller than Joshua, so he could see better. They may not have seen every single light there, but they didn't complain and they liked what they did see.

Mom2nj

My kids stay in their seats. My family has a cottage with a lake and you have to take a 1 lane dirt road down to and up from the lake, my kids are always in their seats, buckled. DH doesn't agree with me, but I stand firm. My cousins, even my SIL don't put their kids in seats and my SIL knows where I stand.... you never know when you might slide off the road and hit a tree, or one of the ATV's flying around...

wondering1

The drivers are definitely distracted while driving "slowly" so you really have no idea what will happen.

I like the walk through only night! I'll have to see if we have any of those here!

mykidsmylife

Last year we let JOhnathon out of his seat. This year we wont allow it (now I know more)....
However I will probably put Seth FF just for the ride. That way he can enjoy the lights!

ThreeBeans

Last year we let JOhnathon out of his seat. This year we wont allow it (now I know more)....
However I will probably put Seth FF just for the ride. That way he can enjoy the lights!

No, no, Mama! He's not yet 20 lbs ;)

Keep in mind he probably has a better view rearfacing out the trunk window, especially if you take the headrest off the seat.

InTheWoods

We drive through lights each year and the kids are in their car seats. I do see other kids who're out of theirs, some in convertibles or standing up through the moonroof. Ack, no thanks.

Cars drive w/ no headlights, visibility isn't all that great, the driver's distracted by the light displays...too many elements leading up to an accident for me to have my LOs out of car seats.

Besides, half the time when we go, they're asleep anyway. So DH and I enjoy the show and quiet conversation w/o interruption.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
My kids stay in their seats. Most of the time, they have fallen asleep and it becomes date night for me and dh. ;)

We also go to Zoo Lights and a walk through display here in town. They see plenty of lights and the ones that they miss, they don't know about anyway. ;)

mykidsmylife

Now now, feeding the boy a whole can of refried beans right before you leave won't count :whistle: :D

LOL!

I just weighed him and he is still only 18lbs. That little turd is so tiny. I was sure he had put more weight on... He may put on 2 lbs in the 1.5m before we go on vacation. ;)

Aren't breastmilk babies supposed to be chubby? LOL..

We will see. If he is 20lbs and he is fussy then I may switch him just for the 2 mile 5-10mph ride. However if he is totally content rf then he will stay that way.
Hey maybe I could just strap both of their car seats to the roof rack! They could enjoy the view in the cold!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC