Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Incognito safe?

Incognito safe?

I have a young 8yr old who is pushing back on using a booster seat. He is about 52" tall and 70lbs. He sits well in a booster and currently rides in a Britax Parkway and Diono Monteray. He uses the Parkway backless because I was having issues fitting 3 kids in the middle row of my Honda Pilot for swim carpool. He uses the Diono HB as it's in my husband's car (4Runner). He sits still, doesn't slouch, doesn't nap, etc. He's used a bubble bum and mifold while traveling or for carpool with no issue. He wants to switch the incognito (we have one because my oldest used it before he could 5 step well). Is the incognito any less safe than a using a typical backless? Would you keep an 8yr in a HBB because it still fits for the side impact? He will ride in what I tell him to because it's safer but I am trying to figure out if it really is safer since he technically fits all the car seats well.

Thanks in advanced.

Susan

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Incognito safe?

As long as the fit is good it's not less safe. The job of a booster is to position the belt so belt position is critical. If he fits, it's a reasonable choice to use. You might choose at first to use it in either the car he spends less time in, or the car that's newer or has more safety features, if he's usually in a high back. But mainly just check that it's not expired and the belt fits well using it.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Thanks. He's used a NBB for a bit of time as needed (trips, carpool, etc) plus starting about 3 months ago in his primary car with no issues (due to needing to use the middle seat and the HBB don't leave much room for 2 teens in the back seat as well). I'll play with the seats tomorrow and make sure the fit is best. He will be thrilled to get rid of the HBB permanently. Both SUVs are 3-4 years old so safety seems to be similar.

Thank you.

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

I wouldn’t push a high back on an 8 year old personally- though I do require one for long trips, as I think it’s comfier overall.

As long as he fits and he’s within the limits, I’d totally let him use the incognito. Especially if it means he’ll use it correctly and not complain about it.

CCO 4/15