92-96 Ford Truck Tether Anchor Retrofit

jrp1311

Hi folks,

I want to add some tether anchors to my 1992 Ford F150 supercab. I'm aware of the R7C program, however my local dealer said they couldn't find any parts for it and they weren't sure if they'd be able to do it, even if they have the parts.

I was able to find the parts online and figured I'd just do it myself. My question is, does anyone know where to install the anchors in the back of the cab wall? I didn't see any drill hole dimples when I looked behind the seat back, or in the wall itself. If anyone has a truck within this year range, would you be able to share a picture with me that shows where the anchors are installed?

Thank you in advance!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi! If you have a super cab with rear seats, you install with the weld nuts on the back wall. There are 3 (one per seating position.)

If you have side-facing seats there's one weld nut on the back wall for the front center seat. The front passenger seat instructs to tether to the seatbelt behind it.

So you won't drill anything; the holes are there with the nuts already through. You'll remove the nut and then bolt the assemblage in. Follow the instructions as far as sealant and torque. (Make sure your torque wrench is correctly adjusted.) If it didn't come with instructions and you can't get them from Ford, best to show the dealership where the weld nuts are, give them the kit, and have them request the instructions and install. Good luck!

jrp1311

Hi! If you have a super cab with rear seats, you install with the weld nuts on the back wall. There are 3 (one per seating position.)

If you have side-facing seats there's one weld nut on the back wall for the front center seat. The front passenger seat instructs to tether to the seatbelt behind it.

So you won't drill anything; the holes are there with the nuts already through. You'll remove the nut and then bolt the assemblage in. Follow the instructions as far as sealant and torque. (Make sure your torque wrench is correctly adjusted.) If it didn't come with instructions and you can't get them from Ford, best to show the dealership where the weld nuts are, give them the kit, and have them request the instructions and install. Good luck!

Thank you! I'm assuming the weld nuts are behind the seat back? The rear seats fold flat and I don't recall seeing any weld nuts on the backwall above the seatback, but I'll check again.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That info isn't in the LATCH Manual, but given my experience with trucks of that era, they are probably behind the seat backs (which is a pain while installing for sure.)

jrp1311

Hey there! Do you by chance have any photos of the instructions? I ended up taking the truck in to another dealer. They ordered the parts and kept the truck for five hours, before coming out and saying that the instructions they have did not match up with my truck. They're now claiming their warranty officer is stating my truck isn't eligible for the program, as it's not a "passenger car."

My 3 year old is dying to go for a ride in the truck. I appreciate any help!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would call corporate. Trucks should be included and they should be able to instruct the dealer to comply and provide the correct directions. Unfortunately what I gave you above is all I've got, a short summary of locations.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC