Carseat configuration in 2008 Mazda CX9? Graco 4Ever, Graco Snugride and Cosco Scenera

jplee3

Hey all,

Long-shot but curious if anyone here has a 2008 CX9 (or any in this generation actually) AND happens to have the Graco 4Ever, Graco Snugride and/or Cosco Scenera side-by-side in the 2nd row... any combination of those or even all three.

I know the Diono Radians are highly recommended but I'd like to avoid buying another carseat lol. We are thinking about buying my brother's 2008 CX9 but he lives about 7-8 hours away (driving distance) so checking this out first-hand won't be possible any time soon.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hey there.

You're looking to use all three seats? Obviously the Snugride is rear facing, but are the others rear facing or forward? Is the 4Ever for a child forward facing under 40 pounds? Could you tell us more about the kids in the seats, please?

Wendy

jplee3

Hey there.

You're looking to use all three seats? Obviously the Snugride is rear facing, but are the others rear facing or forward? Is the 4Ever for a child forward facing under 40 pounds? Could you tell us more about the kids in the seats, please?

Wendy

Hi!

We currently have two kids (one 4 at 33lbs and the other 2.5 at under 30lbs) and are considering trying for a third. If we did, we would consider having all three seats across the 2nd row OR one seat in the third row driver side and two seats in the 2nd row (driver and middle). Of course, the Snugride we would want in the middle 2nd row either way.

However, with just the two kids, for now, we would probably want both in the second row - the 4Ever is bigger so our 4yr old would be in that and I'm thinking it would need to be the 2nd row drivers side (seatbelt and no LATCH install to maximize on space). And preferably the Scenera with our daugther would be in the middle position next to him.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't know that you'll get a 4Ever and Scenera Next next to one another at all. Likely one on either side.

Is your Scenera Next rear or forward facing? With either direction, you want to make sure there's no overlap between the seats. The Scenera Next, for instance, can't be tucked under the 4Ever's cupholders or armrests (it'll sit lower than the 4Ever, so I'm not worried about it going over the 4Ever).

Your 4Ever needs to be at recline four, since the users for it forward facing would be under 40 pounds.

Without a top tether in the third row, it's not something I'd do, especially with a second row so close to the third. But if your baby comes when your older is five AND booster ready, you could use the 4Ever in booster mode in the third row, since that doesn't require a top tether. Just make sure it gets buckled in when it's not in use so it's not a projectile. And make sure anything you have in the third row is restrained properly so if it's next to your older child while you're driving around it's not a projectile.

I don't think it's likely that a 4Ever, Scenera Next, and Snugride will fit, but it's possible. If anything, you'd have to replace only the 4Ever with something narrower. The Snugride and Scenera Next are already quite narrow.

Wendy

jplee3

I don't know that you'll get a 4Ever and Scenera Next next to one another at all. Likely one on either side.

Is your Scenera Next rear or forward facing? With either direction, you want to make sure there's no overlap between the seats. The Scenera Next, for instance, can't be tucked under the 4Ever's cupholders or armrests (it'll sit lower than the 4Ever, so I'm not worried about it going over the 4Ever).

Your 4Ever needs to be at recline four, since the users for it forward facing would be under 40 pounds.

Without a top tether in the third row, it's not something I'd do, especially with a second row so close to the third. But if your baby comes when your older is five AND booster ready, you could use the 4Ever in booster mode in the third row, since that doesn't require a top tether. Just make sure it gets buckled in when it's not in use so it's not a projectile. And make sure anything you have in the third row is restrained properly so if it's next to your older child while you're driving around it's not a projectile.

I don't think it's likely that a 4Ever, Scenera Next, and Snugride will fit, but it's possible. If anything, you'd have to replace only the 4Ever with something narrower. The Snugride and Scenera Next are already quite narrow.

Wendy

Thanks for the info!

The Scenera Next is currently rear facing with our daughter in it. I'm not sure at what point we will want to turn it around.

At this point, it may not be until our son is actually around 5 or close before we may have a third. So this may all work out. Both kids just had their doctors visits and our son is at 42" and currently in the 75th percentile in height. Our daughter is a little more average. Both are on the low side in terms of weight though. It looks like at 40lbs is the minimum they recommend for the booster configurations ? Would you recommend the high-back configuration or backless?

Will the Graco Snugride fit next to the Scenera Next if those two are side by side in the 2nd row, with the Snugride in the middle position? By the time we need to replace the 4Ever, my brother will probably be done with the Diono they have been using for their kid. So I think we may be OK there if we ever want to have all three kids in the 2nd row.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's recommended to wait until a child is booster ready, not just 40 pounds. Being booster ready implies a lot of maturity to understand the consequences of sitting properly (even while asleep, and being able to keep themselves upright while asleep so they don't slump out of position), not leaning down or over to a sibling, not unbuckling in the middle of a ride, and then ideally waiting until after five, maybe even closer to six for the spine to solidify more so it's less injured in a crash. It's not just 40 pounds.

I'd start with a high back booster. That helps adjust the shoulder belt to a better fitting level, has shell around the child to help them transition from a harness you've been adjusting for them their entire lives to the seatbelt which they are in charge of, and helps them learn to use their muscles to sit up and hold themselves up during turning and sleeping (again, the harness has been doing that for them), and it gives them someplace to rest their heads when they're sleepy. Also, why buy a four in one seat to immediately toss out an entire mode of the seat? I'd use the high back until it's outgrown.

If you get the Diono, make sure it comes with all of its parts (Safe Stop, chest pads, manual or you download it), and if you're planning on using it as a booster, know it doesn't booster until 50 pounds. But it is a very narrow seat and will fit a LOT better in a row three across than a 4Ever will. That's for sure. :)

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC