Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Escalade esv vs Expedition Max 2019 boosters and FF

Deciding between the 2 vehicles. Stuck between Escalade NOT having middle headrest (how bad safety wise is this?older kids neck def hit where seatback ends) and 3rd row seat so close to 2nd row (like bus seat close to each other) vs Expedition having middle headrests and ability to slide 2nd row forward so 3rd row passenger can has more forward excusion room). Booster will soon go to low back so I can't cheat out the no headrest thing in the Escalade. Also in either vehicle is it possible to put a Frontier next to a HBB like a parkway on a bench in either vehicle or do both seats need to be outboard to fit?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Escalade esv vs Expedition Max 2019 boosters and FF

I'm not sure about the Frontier and Parkway on width, but in terms of someone not having a headrest, their head will snap back. You're looking at head injuries starting at that point. Most people are not ok with that. Ranging from minor whiplash from minor crashes, to avoidable death.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

CPS Technician

Re: Escalade esv vs Expedition Max 2019 boosters and FF

I have a 2018 Expedition MAX. High back boosters don’t work in the 3rd row due to the non-removable head restraints but backless boosters do work well. In the 2nd row, the Parkway just barely works in the middle. You have to finagle it just right in order to be able to buckle it. The low, rigid buckles can make buckling difficult for some boosters. We have had a Frontier on the driver side and Parkway center which works but again isn’t easy to buckle. The Parkway works well in both outboard seats. We currently have a Chicco GoFit Plus in the center with Frontier behind driver and Safety 1st Incognito on the passenger side. We also sometimes have the Incognito center with the Parkway passenger side and Frontier driver side.

Personally, I would not even consider the GM options. No center head restraints is a deal-breaker for me. The limited 3rd row leg room is also a huge issue for me. I want to be able to sit in the 3rd row and not feel like I’m in a clown car.