Question 2016 Buick Enclave and 3 Kids in Seats

U

Unregistered

We own a 2016 Buick Enclave. We thought we would only have two children but surprise- #3 is due any day. We have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. Our plan was to move the two older littles to the 3rd row ff and put the infant seat in one of the captains chairs. The second captain chair would remain folded so that I can get to the back row to assist with buckling in and out. Our issue is that there is only one tether in the back row. Could I install two Britax Frontier seats in the back row without being tethered? Both girls are under 35 pounds. Buying new seats is a cheaper option than buying a new vehicle but I want to make sure that we are being safe as well. I would love some input or help.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there. Congrats on number three!

A top tether is an absolutely vital safety feature of a forward facing seat. So you'd be deciding which of your children get that and which doesn't. In Canada it's legally required, and on more and more seats in the US it's legally required. The Frontier it's highly encouraged (because of how vital it is) but not legally required. So you'd choose which child gets it and which doesn't. You'd also be looking at trying to squish a Frontier in the middle and another on the side next to it, and I don't know that two will fit next to one another.

So, having said that, it's your choice, but I'd put one forward facer in the second row and one in the third, and make the far less convenient lean into the third row to buckle.

Or, I'd rear face the two year old in the third row, and forward face the four year old, though you'd need specific seats that fit next to one another back there. But that would get them both back in the third row. Then you'd only need that one tether. Again, probably easier to fit, but less convenient to live with, two in the second and one in the third. Or, rear face all three and buckle in the older two from the trunk. They're big enough to climb into their seats on their own, you just lean in from the trunk to buckle.

Several options, but none are convenient. Sorry.

Wendy

lgenne

Having done the 2 kids buckled through the tailgate thing, I would absolutely put 2 rear facers in the 3rd row. Being able to buckle 2 kids without running around the car is amazing.

Unless you frequently transport just one, then just the other. That would mean climbing back there all the time, unless maybe you also put a forward facing seat in the other captains chair, your kids need it adjusted similarly enough that you don’t have to keep reinstalling it, and your kids deal well with change. Then if you just have one, they can always ride in the captain’s chair.

This is only the setup until your oldest can be boostered and handle buckling on their own, generally around 5.5 IME. Then the oldest can be in the 3rd row, younger 2 in captain’s chairs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC