Question 2018 Grand Caravan, reccomend (2) 5pt booster seat for 3rd row

S

SoontobeMomof5

Hi all. I have an 8yo, twins who will be 4yo when this will be needed, and expecting twins again. I have a 2018 grand caravan. So 2nd row is 2 captin seats and 3rd row is a 3 seat bench seat. I have bought the new twins maxi cosi infant seats that will go in the 2nd row. So i need recommendations for 5pt harness booster seats. As of right now they are 26lbs and 36in tall and the change happens in 3 months. If its easier to keep the space for all i can put my 8yo in a high back booster. Hes a smaller 8yo

ADS

jjordan

Sadly your vehicle has only two tether anchors and with forward facing seats it is highly recommended* to use the top tether. If it is at all possible it would be recommended to put one of the twins in the third row so that you can use tether anchors for both of the older twins' seats (one in the second row and one in the center of the third row).

The second bit of bad news is that the third row is extremely tight and difficult to fit 3 children across. If your only concern was fitting the seats, then you might have good luck with something extremely compact for your 8 year old (e.g. the Bubblebum) on one side of the third row, then a narrow harness for one 4 year old (e.g. Cosco Finale**) in the center of the third row, and then the infant seat on the other side of the third row. The trouble with this setup is that the way the outboard seat belts are set up makes them generally not play nicely with boosters. I have heard that the highback Evenflo Amp is a good choice for outboard, and though it's not a wide booster per se, it might be hard to fit with your 3 across. (The good news is that if you are going to put the other 4 year old in the second row then pretty much any seat should fit there. Depending on what you have for him/her now you might be able to continue to use that seat.)

Another option could be to put one of the 4 year olds rear facing in the third row if you are uncomfortable having one of the infants back there. It will still be tricky to find a combination that will fit 3 across, however.

*If you are in Canada the top tether strap is REQUIRED for all forward facing harnessed seats.

**Note that if you decide to NOT use the tether strap then you can't get a Finale as that seat requires that the tether always be used.

lgenne

Congratulations on twins (again!)

It’s tricky, but it’s probably possible to make this happen. It will mean at least one baby in the 3rd row.

The outboard seats are difficult. The seat is so narrow that car seats tend to hang off the side. You can try the infant seats you bought—they might work. Try them both with the base and baseless. If they don’t work, can they be returned?

The options are:

1) 8 year old outboard in a high back booster (the Evenflo Amp seems to work best in this location), 4 year old center in a narrow harnessed seat, baby outboard
2) Both babies outboard, older kid center in either a narrow backless booster (8 year old) or a narrow harnessed seat

Does one of those options appeal to you more than the other?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC