Frontier vs. Pioneer vs. New Britax combo vs. ???

lukensophie

Senior Community Member
It's been a long time since I was in the market for a car seat that wasn't a spare. Our youngest is 9 years old and has significant special needs. He's currently in a Frontier in my car and a Graco Size4Me in hubby's car. We have an Evenflo Maestro as a spare. He's a peanut at 42 pounds and 42 inches tall.

My Frontier has about a year of life left in it, but I took the cover off today to wash and realized that it's in rougher shape than I thought. I could spend $65 on a new cover, but the seat is going to expire next year, so I don't really want to put that money towards a cover when I could put it towards a seat.

The Graco is going to expire in about 6 months.

I'm looking for the seat with the highest harness height available. A few years ago, that was the Frontier. I noticed on the Britax website that the Pioneer and the new combos have the same height. I'm not too concerned about the lower weight limits because it's likely that he'll outgrow the harness by height way before weight.

Are there any other seats with a harness height that exceeds 20 inches?

Yes, I know he could still technically rear-face. He rear-faced until he was 8. At 9, and with his needs, I have to consider our sanity.

ADS

flutie128

The main difference between the Pioneer and the Frontier is the click tight feature which make the Frontier super easy to install. They are still the tallest at 20 inches though the Chicco MyFit comes close at 19.5 according carseatblog. The Frontier is listed as 20.5.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The new Grow with You may work very well, since it's a ClickTight with a 65 pound limit. But I don't know that the price limit is worth it over a Frontier.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I agree with Wendy, unless you love the cover. A friend is buying one because purple lol.

The MyFit does have a lovely recline if that's a consideration for you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC