Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Frontier vs. Pioneer vs. New Britax combo vs. ???

It's been a long time since I was in the market for a car seat that wasn't a spare. Our youngest is 9 years old and has significant special needs. He's currently in a Frontier in my car and a Graco Size4Me in hubby's car. We have an Evenflo Maestro as a spare. He's a peanut at 42 pounds and 42 inches tall.

My Frontier has about a year of life left in it, but I took the cover off today to wash and realized that it's in rougher shape than I thought. I could spend $65 on a new cover, but the seat is going to expire next year, so I don't really want to put that money towards a cover when I could put it towards a seat.

The Graco is going to expire in about 6 months.

I'm looking for the seat with the highest harness height available. A few years ago, that was the Frontier. I noticed on the Britax website that the Pioneer and the new combos have the same height. I'm not too concerned about the lower weight limits because it's likely that he'll outgrow the harness by height way before weight.

Are there any other seats with a harness height that exceeds 20 inches?

Yes, I know he could still technically rear-face. He rear-faced until he was 8. At 9, and with his needs, I have to consider our sanity.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Frontier vs. Pioneer vs. New Britax combo vs. ???

The main difference between the Pioneer and the Frontier is the click tight feature which make the Frontier super easy to install. They are still the tallest at 20 inches though the Chicco MyFit comes close at 19.5 according carseatblog. The Frontier is listed as 20.5.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

The new Grow with You may work very well, since it's a ClickTight with a 65 pound limit. But I don't know that the price limit is worth it over a Frontier.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I agree with Wendy, unless you love the cover. A friend is buying one because purple lol.

The MyFit does have a lovely recline if that's a consideration for you.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!