Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Junebug63577

Laws re: travel btw US and Canada with car seats

My family lives in the United States and we will be visiting my in laws in British Columbia in a few weeks. We will fly to Spokane, WA, and then my in laws plan to pick us up there. We will not be renting a car. Can we use our US seats in their car? I’ve seen a law that visitors can use seats in B.C. as long as they are approved where the owner lives, but the owner and driver of the car is from B.C. in this case. Are my in laws going to have insurance/legal issues if they got into an accident with our kids in US seats on the Canadian side of the border?

Or, conversely, If we just bought/rented Canadian seats, are we going to have any insurance/legal issues if we got in an accident on the US side of the border?

My husband are both trying to wade through both Canadian and US law to figure out the best option. We’re comfortable the safety of our seats and we obviously don’t anticipate an accident, but want to know what we’re getting ourselves into should the worst occur! Any help is deeply appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Laws re: travel btw US and Canada with car seats

Since you live in the US and presumably have an ID that says as much, it seems like that should be good enough. You are the owner of the seats, if not the car.
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer, Boulevard G4, and SureRide
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

Moderator - CPS Technician

Re: Laws re: travel btw US and Canada with car seats

I agree, I would use your US seats and just make sure that your kids have their US ID with them (whatever they are taking to cross the border) when they're in the car to show that they're visitors from the US.
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava