Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Any benefit from booster after reaching 4'10"?

Hello! Is there any safety benefit to keeping a child in a booster seat after they've reached 4'9" or 4'10"?

My oldest is 4'10" in shoes. He is 9.5 years old, and a very responsible passenger - not one to mess around. He still fits in his Britax high-backed booster, and he has not yet reached the maximum height and weight allowed by the booster, though he has met the usual recommendations I see in terms of hip, knee, and foot placement.

Is it OK to move him out of a booster, or are there safety benefits to keeping him in the booster longer?

Thanks so much!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Any benefit from booster after reaching 4'10"?

Hi there.

Ideally a booster is used until a child fits in the adult seatbelt properly. So yes, assuming your booster allows for use over 4'9", I'd continue to use a booster until the limits are met. Especially at 9.5 when the skeleton is still so young and nowhere near a mature age.

https://carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

The booster can help the skeleton so much in a crash, and will help the child fit the adult belt much better.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Any benefit from booster after reaching 4'10"?

As a data point, my children started fitting in SOME vehicles at 5', and didn't 5 step in the last holdout position in our van until 5'2" and 5'3.5" respectively. A lot depends on build and a lot depends on vehicle. Even after they pass the 5-Step Test in one vehicle it's imperative to test in others before you ditch the booster entirely.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!