Any benefit from booster after reaching 4'10"?

U

Unregistered

Hello! Is there any safety benefit to keeping a child in a booster seat after they've reached 4'9" or 4'10"?

My oldest is 4'10" in shoes. He is 9.5 years old, and a very responsible passenger - not one to mess around. He still fits in his Britax high-backed booster, and he has not yet reached the maximum height and weight allowed by the booster, though he has met the usual recommendations I see in terms of hip, knee, and foot placement.

Is it OK to move him out of a booster, or are there safety benefits to keeping him in the booster longer?

Thanks so much!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

Ideally a booster is used until a child fits in the adult seatbelt properly. So yes, assuming your booster allows for use over 4'9", I'd continue to use a booster until the limits are met. Especially at 9.5 when the skeleton is still so young and nowhere near a mature age.

https://carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

The booster can help the skeleton so much in a crash, and will help the child fit the adult belt much better.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
As a data point, my children started fitting in SOME vehicles at 5', and didn't 5 step in the last holdout position in our van until 5'2" and 5'3.5" respectively. A lot depends on build and a lot depends on vehicle. Even after they pass the 5-Step Test in one vehicle it's imperative to test in others before you ditch the booster entirely.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC