Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    CPS Fanatic

frontier vs. pioneer width

Are the shell of the frontier and the pioneer the same width? They have different measurements on the website here.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: frontier vs. pioneer width

As far as I know they are the same dimensions, but the website isn’t working for me. The Pinnacle is wider, but you probably weren’t looking at the wrong seats.
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer, Boulevard G4, and SureRide
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

CPS Fanatic

Thanks, Melody. I'm assuming it was just two different people measuring differently. I always thought they were the same too.

Carseat Crazy

Yes, that’s what I thought of after I answered too.
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer, Boulevard G4, and SureRide
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

In my experience they're the same as well.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

CPS Fanatic

Thanks, KQ. It would have been nice to have those tall top harness slots and a narrower seat but oh well. 10 year old in the middle will keep being squished.

The Chicco MyFit is almost as tall (1" less) and narrower.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

CPS Fanatic

Thanks, KQ. I need every inch of harness height I can get. I watch 2 sets of kids so on the one day a week I have the older two kids the 8 year old sits in the ff harnessed seat and then 10 year old uses a bubblebum in the middle. Thankfully the 8 year old has the world's shortest torso and the 10 year old has a 15 minute ride once a week. (On a side note I saw the addition to your siggy and almost started jumping up and down. Congrats!!!!!)

Thanks!

Is it a lap only belt you're dealing with?

CPS Technician

Frontier and Pioneer are identical exterior and interior width. The Frontier often works better for 3-across set ups though since the magic of Click-Tight often allows you to cheat the seat off center significantly towards the doors.

CPS Fanatic

I just installed a new pioneer yesterday so I think its here to stay for a while. I have 3 lap/shoulder belts in the back but the five year old isn't ready to sit correctly in a booster all the time. The pioneer is already against the side of the car so I don't think a frontier would help much but that's good to know about click tight in general. So right now I have a pioneer behind the passenger for the 5 and 8 year olds, a bubble bum in the middle for the 10 year old, and a rf graco extend2fit for the 3 year old. I don't like how squished the 10 year old is because she tries to wiggle away from the pioneer instead of sitting correctly but for one short ride a week I tell her to deal with it and sit right.