Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I did it!!! (3 across in 2-door Honda Civic)

We thought that the addition of our third child meant that we could no longer drive as a family in our efficient 2-door Honda Civic. But we were wrong! I have now successfully installed 3 Radians back there. It wasn't easy, but they are solid, and I feel really good about the install (it did require 2 twists to the seatbelt buckle shaft on both of the FF seats). This is the only configuration that will work, so once the little one reaches the RF weight limit, we won't be able to take the civic places anymore. But it could be another year (or more), since he's 26 pounds now at 15 months. It is so cozy to drive around in this car all together (our other car is a Honda Odyssey, which we still plan to use for all highway travel and longer trips).

Here's a picture. One of my sons isn't in it, but you get the idea anyway.

CPS Tech and Mama to 4 well-harnessed boys age 6 and under.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: I did it!!! (3 across in 2-door Honda Civic)

Congratulations!
    (excitement over a successful 3-across installation is a sure sign of car seat geekness)
    DD 7, 52" 48# Maxi Cosi Rodi XR and Britax Parkway SG
    DS 5¾ 46" 45# Britax Parkway
    DS 3 1/2, 40" 36# SK Radian
    3 across in a '07 VW Rabbit and a '09 Acura MDX

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

How exciting! Now you can to add it to the 3 across thread

Great job!!! Looks great too!
    Lisa - CPSTI
    Mom to Tucker, 5 years old, 29.2 lbs, 39.25 inches tall who has a variety of different carseats to ride in.
    My new grandson is my signature photo

Cool!

Senior Community Member

WOW! Great job!

Great job. I bet that once your little one is forward facing you could fit a marathon in there. A forward facing radian and ff marathon puzzle extremely well together and fit better than two ff radians do. Another option might be to buy your older child a ride safer vest and put him in the middle. Then you would be able continue to fit the whole family in the car.
    Angie mama to R 4 years, 33 lbs/38 inches in a radian
    W 7 years,66 lbs/51 inches in a parkway
    M 9 years, 58 lbs/51 inches in a parkway

Quote Originally Posted by musicmaj View Post
    I bet that once your little one is forward facing you could fit a marathon in there. A forward facing radian and ff marathon puzzle extremely well together and fit better than two ff radians do. .

9 yr old in a pink zebra NBB and 5-stepping
    6 yr DS1 old in a Harmony
    4 yr old DS2 in a Nautilus and Radian
    18 mo DS3 rfing in a MyRide65

WOw!! Now you've got me anxious to see if i can get 3 across in DHs 2dr cavalier.
    DS 9 years old, 57# 50.5in in a Evenflo Amp LBB 01 Honda Accord, Graco TB LBB 03 Honda Pilot
    DD 6 years old 43.5# 44in Recaro ProBooster 01 Honda Accord, Britax Frontier85 03 Honda Pilot

Well that is just awesome! It just goes to show that puzzling can make the difference.
    Joni
    Sunshine, 11, 5'3", 100 lbs in a 15.5" saddle

I tried to see if two radians would fit with a Boulevard in any configuration, but it didn't work. I think because the middle seat of the car is slightly raised as compared to the outboard seats. The Boulevard doesn't puzzle well at all with the Radians in this car. It's really very cramped back there. That said, the RF seat doesn't impact the front seats at all, which is somewhat of a miracle, I think. It would be more of an issue if the RF seat was in one of the outboard positions.

I will add it to the 3 across thread

Lex
    CPS Tech and Mama to 4 well-harnessed boys age 6 and under.

CPS Fanatic

Would this be appropriate in the successful radian install thead too?

Congrats
    ~Laura™ mom to Seamus (6) in a Regent and Mickey (4) in a ff Myride. Due 6/26/11 with Abigail Tucker, patiently awaiting the install of her Myride.

what yr is your civic? just a thought could you put your oldest in a RideSafe Travel Vest in the middle when the youngest is outgrown the weight for rf and have the Radians still outboard if you have tethers in the center? then when the oldest is ready for a booster or just the seat belt move the next oldest to the center with the vest the vest do not expire you can reuse them unless they have been in a wreck.

Carseat Crazy

I am curious about the width of your back seat - would you be able to measure for me top and bottom.
    I am just wondering how different the size is to my xtype jag and whether i would be able to get 3 radians across - 2xff and 1x rf but eventually all would need to be ff.
    thanks
    Joshua 16th Aug 03 - 46lbs Britax Adventure High Back Booster
    Madison 14th Sept 05 - 42lbs Britax Adventure High Back Booster
    Tyler 19th Mar 07 - 38lb Britax Adventure High Back Booster

Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by mburks26 View Post
    what yr is your civic?
    This thread says that her car is a 2001 2-door Civic.

just a thought could you put your oldest in a RideSafe Travel Vest in the middle when the youngest is outgrown the weight for rf and have the Radians still outboard if you have tethers in the center? then when the oldest is ready for a booster or just the seat belt move the next oldest to the center with the vest the vest do not expire you can reuse them unless they have been in a wreck.
    She has 5-year-old twins and a toddler. I am not sure if the twins are around the same size, but it seems that they may be. I can see how it could be a tough situation if the twins both need to be switched to vests at the same time.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by mommytojoshmadty View Post
    I am curious about the width of your back seat - would you be able to measure for me top and bottom.
    According to this site, the Civic has 1,186 mm (46.69 in) of hip room and 1,336 mm (52.59 in) of shoulder room in the rear seat.

Unregistered

don't suppose you can find a similar site with xtype spec regarding hip and shoulder room??? That would be great for a comparison!

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    don't suppose you can find a similar site with xtype spec regarding hip and shoulder room??? That would be great for a comparison!
    According to the same site, for a 2006 Xtype:

Internal dimensions: front headroom (inches): 37.2, rear headroom (inches): 37.5, front hip room (inches): 54.5, rear hip room (inches): 53.7, front leg room (inches): 42.4, rear leg room (inches): 34.4, front shoulder room (inches): 54.5, rear shoulder room (inches): 53.7 and interior volume (cu ft): 90.3