Question Chunky 5yo

U

Unregistered

My daughter is 5years old, 49” tall and weighs 93lbs. I’ve got her sitting in a Greco 3-1 car seat but the buckle in between her legs it’s really tight and can’t loosen anymore. I wanted to get an extender but can’t find one. Any ideas? Was hoping to keep her in a harness car seat since whenever she falls asleep in a booster seat she falls over and kinds just hangs there. Need suggestions please

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

No Graco seat has a harness limit of more than 65 pounds (other than the old Argos 80, which went to 80 pounds). So you need to switch it to booster mode immediately, please. So she's hit the height limit of her seat, and long ago hit the weight limit. To answer your immediate question, though, no, you cannot put an extender on the crotch strap. But being 28 pounds (or maybe only 13) over the weight limit is why you're having such an issue.

In fact, there are no harnessed seats on the US market that can harness her.

Graco high back boosters top out at 100 pounds, so if you want to keep her in a high back booster more than seven pounds you'll need to start looking for a different high back booster for her. Have you taught her to look up at the ceiling when she gets sleepy? That's a great way for kids (and adults!) to sleep in a booster seat without slumping forward. It keeps us more stable with our heads balanced on our spines and backs and shoulders, rather than leaning forward.

Would you like suggestions now, or soon, for a high back booster that goes to 120 pounds for her? If so, let us know your budget, please.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Wendy, her car seat now goes up to 100lbs. I will soon need suggestions for a new one. We are currently working on bringing her weight down too

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yes, the high back booster function of her seat does. The harness does not.

Which seat does she have? And when was it made? I'll look up your manual for you and tell you the harness limit, if I don't know it off of the top of my head.

But you can also look up the limits on the stickers on the side of the seat. There are separate limits for the harness, the high back booster, and the backless, if there are separate ones (Graco makes seats that rear face, forward face, and go to high back boosters, and seats that forward face, go to high back boosters, and backless boosters. So it's very hard to know which three in one you mean). But I can 100% promise, on her life, it does not harness to 100 pounds and her life is in danger right now, and that it likely harnessed to 65 pounds. I am urging you, on her life, to check the stickers.

Wendy

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yes, the high back booster function of her seat does. The harness does not.

Which seat does she have? And when was it made? I'll look up your manual for you and tell you the harness limit, if I don't know it off of the top of my head.

But you can also look up the limits on the stickers on the side of the seat. There are separate limits for the harness, the high back booster, and the backless, if there are separate ones (Graco makes seats that rear face, forward face, and go to high back boosters, and seats that forward face, go to high back boosters, and backless boosters. So it's very hard to know which three in one you mean). But I can 100% promise, on her life, it does not harness to 100 pounds and her life is in danger right now, and that it likely harnessed to 65 pounds. I am urging you, on her life, to check the stickers.

Wendy

Yes to everything that Wendy said. This article discusses more about what a 3-in-1 carseat does and doesn't do: https://carseatblog.com/34390/what-is-an-all-in-one-3-in-1-4-in-1-carseat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Many 5 year olds can learn to sit well in a booster even sleeping with the "look up" reminders Wendy mentioned. Some people have found putting a sticker on the roof for the child to focus on when sleepy helpful.

If she can't (some kids don't quite have the muscle control yet) at that weight the only reasonable alternative will likely be a vest/harness from Ez-On. Continuing to work with her will be important though, as you'd need to install different hardware to use their vests/harnesses and can't just move it from one car to another without doing so, so for riding in other cars a booster will be essential.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC