Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chunky 5yo

Unregistered

Chunky 5yo

My daughter is 5years old, 49Ē tall and weighs 93lbs. Iíve got her sitting in a Greco 3-1 car seat but the buckle in between her legs itís really tight and canít loosen anymore. I wanted to get an extender but canít find one. Any ideas? Was hoping to keep her in a harness car seat since whenever she falls asleep in a booster seat she falls over and kinds just hangs there. Need suggestions please

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Chunky 5yo

Hi there.

No Graco seat has a harness limit of more than 65 pounds (other than the old Argos 80, which went to 80 pounds). So you need to switch it to booster mode immediately, please. So she's hit the height limit of her seat, and long ago hit the weight limit. To answer your immediate question, though, no, you cannot put an extender on the crotch strap. But being 28 pounds (or maybe only 13) over the weight limit is why you're having such an issue.

In fact, there are no harnessed seats on the US market that can harness her.

Graco high back boosters top out at 100 pounds, so if you want to keep her in a high back booster more than seven pounds you'll need to start looking for a different high back booster for her. Have you taught her to look up at the ceiling when she gets sleepy? That's a great way for kids (and adults!) to sleep in a booster seat without slumping forward. It keeps us more stable with our heads balanced on our spines and backs and shoulders, rather than leaning forward.

Would you like suggestions now, or soon, for a high back booster that goes to 120 pounds for her? If so, let us know your budget, please.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

4. Thank You from:

Unregistered

Wendy, her car seat now goes up to 100lbs. I will soon need suggestions for a new one. We are currently working on bringing her weight down too

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Yes, the high back booster function of her seat does. The harness does not.

Which seat does she have? And when was it made? I'll look up your manual for you and tell you the harness limit, if I don't know it off of the top of my head.

But you can also look up the limits on the stickers on the side of the seat. There are separate limits for the harness, the high back booster, and the backless, if there are separate ones (Graco makes seats that rear face, forward face, and go to high back boosters, and seats that forward face, go to high back boosters, and backless boosters. So it's very hard to know which three in one you mean). But I can 100% promise, on her life, it does not harness to 100 pounds and her life is in danger right now, and that it likely harnessed to 65 pounds. I am urging you, on her life, to check the stickers.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    Yes, the high back booster function of her seat does. The harness does not.

Which seat does she have? And when was it made? I'll look up your manual for you and tell you the harness limit, if I don't know it off of the top of my head.

But you can also look up the limits on the stickers on the side of the seat. There are separate limits for the harness, the high back booster, and the backless, if there are separate ones (Graco makes seats that rear face, forward face, and go to high back boosters, and seats that forward face, go to high back boosters, and backless boosters. So it's very hard to know which three in one you mean). But I can 100% promise, on her life, it does not harness to 100 pounds and her life is in danger right now, and that it likely harnessed to 65 pounds. I am urging you, on her life, to check the stickers.

Wendy
    Yes to everything that Wendy said. This article discusses more about what a 3-in-1 carseat does and doesn't do: https://carseatblog.com/34390/what-i...4-in-1-carseat.

8. Thank You from:

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Many 5 year olds can learn to sit well in a booster even sleeping with the "look up" reminders Wendy mentioned. Some people have found putting a sticker on the roof for the child to focus on when sleepy helpful.

If she can't (some kids don't quite have the muscle control yet) at that weight the only reasonable alternative will likely be a vest/harness from Ez-On. Continuing to work with her will be important though, as you'd need to install different hardware to use their vests/harnesses and can't just move it from one car to another without doing so, so for riding in other cars a booster will be essential.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!