Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

seat for 7 year old

I have an almost 7 year old ( bday is in August). I need to measure and weigh her again, but in January she was 43 1/2 inches tall and 40 lbs. She lost a little then gained it back, last time she was weighed two weeks ago she was 41 lbs. She's tiny. She's currently riding ff harnessed in a Graco Nautilus 65 in my van and in a Britax marathon in my mother in laws van. That one expires at the end of the year so I'll need to replace it. I just don't know what to get. Another harnessed seat? Switch to a booster? She seems happy harnessed, but she does ok when we let her ride from our house to my in laws house (less than a half mile down the road) in a Britax Parkway. She just seems too little to be in a booster?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: seat for 7 year old

If she can sit well in a booster without falling asleep for the amount of time your MIL would be driving her, I would go for a booster. The plus is that it has less room for error and your daughter can more easily make sure it is used the way you teach her is correct.
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer, Boulevard G4, and SureRide
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: seat for 7 year old

Keep in mind, that regardless of her size, she's got a basically seven year old skeleton. It can withstand the same forces as a 48 inch 65 pound child who will turn seven in August.

I'd have no problem at all with her in a booster.

Her shoulders are below the top harness height in both seats, and they're tethered?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785