KDM on goodmorning America

ADS

brooklynsmommy

I know! It really made me excited. The only thing I think I would have changed would have been the Triumph Advance. I think I would have shown a car seat that wasnt such a moose! Ok perhaps that wasnt the best choice of words. Perhaps showing something like the smaller Radian would have been better.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I bet they just sent some intern out to find a seat with a HWH, and the ETA was the first thing they found?

keri1292

I also wish they would've pointed out that a lot of kids reach 40lbs before they can LEGALLY use a booster, making a HWH seat a necessity. A lot of people don't know that there is a 4 years AND 40lb law in many states. Or that a skinny kid with a long torso may outgrow the seat long before 4 as well. I bet they're going to be swamped with seat requests now. :eek:

brooklynsmommy

It may have aired a while ago. I just saw it today after someone mentioned it and thought I would post it on here in case no one had see it yet. And the sad thing (if youre talking about the KDMF) is that they are closed right now to new applicants.....

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I also wish they would've pointed out that a lot of kids reach 40lbs before they can LEGALLY use a booster, making a HWH seat a necessity. A lot of people don't know that there is a 4 years AND 40lb law in many states. Or that a skinny kid with a long torso may outgrow the seat long before 4 as well. I bet they're going to be swamped with seat requests now. :eek:

When can you "legally" use a booster? Although some booster seats have a starting weight of 30 pounds (which is certainly not best practice to use a booster for an average 30 pound kid), what states "legally" allow a booster only after 4 and 40 pounds? The minimum legal requirements for most states (ie, 4 and 40 pounds) usually ONLY refer to the child being restrained in a car seat OR booster seat. I don't know of a state that won't allow a booster seat before 4 and 40 pounds. It isn't a good idea, but I don't know of a law that only allows them after 4 years and 40 pounds.

HWH are a great thing, no doubt about it. My DS had one until last year. But boosters, used properly, are safe. They really are. Techs, instructors, experts in CPS agree that a five point harness is a great thing. But we also worry about the 5 and 6 yo who aren't even using a booster. There are far too many children ages 4-8 who are restrained improperly in ONLY a lap/shoulder belt.

The GMA piece aired early this year. Check older threads for the response to the GMA piece.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Right, there were several threads started about the segment in Coffee Break when it aired last month, and another thread for archival purposes over in the board's News Media forum with a link to the ABC video. The OP here apparently found a YouTube copy of the broadcast and thought it was all new. :)

keri1292

When can you "legally" use a booster? Although some booster seats have a starting weight of 30 pounds (which is certainly not best practice to use a booster for an average 30 pound kid), what states "legally" allow a booster only after 4 and 40 pounds? The minimum legal requirements for most states (ie, 4 and 40 pounds) usually ONLY refer to the child being restrained in a car seat OR booster seat. I don't know of a state that won't allow a booster seat before 4 and 40 pounds. It isn't a good idea, but I don't know of a law that only allows them after 4 years and 40 pounds.

Hmmm...maybe not "many", but we're from PA and it's law there...

"WHAT IS THE LAW CONCERNING BOOSTER SEATS?
§ Children under 4 years of age are required to use a child restraint device. Nonuse is a primary offense. Children 4 to under 8 years of age are required to use a booster seat. It is a secondary offense. The fine is a sliding fine up to $100.00. The money will continue to go into a fund to purchase child safety seats for loaner programs that distribute child safety seats across Pennsylvania. Charges may be dismissed by the District Justice if proof of purchase or loan of a child passenger safety seat/booster seat is introduced into evidence."

http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/view.asp?A=310&Q=165399

So, I guess it doesn't take weight into account. Still better than some laws.

keri1292

A booster seat counts as a child restraint device ;)

Really? This statement from the same page seems to differentiate them...

EXCEPTIONS TO BOOSTER SEATS:

A child over 4 but less than 8 years of age weighing less than 40 lbs. may, in lieu of use of a booster seat, be securely fastened in a child passenger restraint system (car seat) appropriate for their height and weight in accordance with the manufacturer recommendations.

Hmm...that also makes it sound illegal for my 42lb 7 year old to use a HWH, doesn't it?

ThreeBeans

Yes, the wording is unfortunate, but a booster is by definition a CR.

Actually that wording is awful, it implies that HWH is illegal :thumbsdown:

brooklynsmommy

Right, there were several threads started about the segment in Coffee Break when it aired last month, and another thread for archival purposes over in the board's News Media forum with a link to the ABC video. The OP here apparently found a YouTube copy of the broadcast and thought it was all new. :)
I didnt think it was new, It was just the first time I had seen it. I didnt see it on here a month ago when I was here either.

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Really? This statement from the same page seems to differentiate them...

EXCEPTIONS TO BOOSTER SEATS:

A child over 4 but less than 8 years of age weighing less than 40 lbs. may, in lieu of use of a booster seat, be securely fastened in a child passenger restraint system (car seat) appropriate for their height and weight in accordance with the manufacturer recommendations.

Hmm...that also makes it sound illegal for my 42lb 7 year old to use a HWH, doesn't it?

Actually that particular provision would make it legal to use a hwh seat in place of a booster for kids 4-8.

According to what you quoted originally a child under 4 is required to use a child restraint device. Boosters are child restraint devices, so it would not be illegal (it wouldn't be best practice) for a child under 4 to be in a booster. A child under 4 normally shouldn't be in a booster, but based on what you've quoted there wouldn't be any legal ramifications.

Legislators and child passenger safety don't always mix well. In enacting booster laws and other laws designed to protect older children, states have stepped in with all sorts of weirdly worded laws. I believe the legislators meant well, but the resultant laws can be difficult to read and interpret correctly.

I think the most important thing to remember is that while there are legal requirements passed by state legislators, in a crash, the only laws that are relevant are the laws of physics. The only question becomes: "is your child properly restrained based on height, weight, age and any physical or mental challenges?"

USmominOz

She talked about how kids could go under the seat belt, some of our booster seats here made by Britax have a anti sub clip on it where the seat belt go through to prevent this.

Do you have this on any of your seats?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC