Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How do you do RVs?

We have a new RV and two kids in boosters. The rv has lap belts in a side facing seat and some on a forward facing seat. I donít really know whatís best to do with them. Not using the RV isnít an option.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

How do you do RVs?

What type of RV is it? The front seats are fairly safe in some types, but nothing in the back will hold up in a crash. RVs are not subject to the same passenger safety laws as passenger vehicles and arenít built strong like school buses, so it is left to parental discretion. As you mentioned, we often recommend a separate vehicle for as many of the passengers as possible, but if that isnít an option, you just have to hope for the best and drive as safely as possible. There may be a webinar on the topic which I will look for and link below if I find it.

Edit: here is the child passenger safety webinar I was thinking of: https://youtu.be/ak1YscpM4Xs
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer, Boulevard G4, and SureRide
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

4. Thank You from:

Re: How do you do RVs?

Awesome video, thank you so much for sharing that. I 1000% wish I would have known about the dangers before my husband bought an RV because I would have demanded a trailer instead.

Anyone reading this thread- I know the video (link posted above) is a whole hour but itís excellent and worth watching before loading up the fam for a summer trip. Very enlightening and while you may end up making some choices, at least you will have made informed choices.

Quote Originally Posted by MelodyoftheForest View Post
    What type of RV is it? The front seats are fairly safe in some types, but nothing in the back will hold up in a crash. RVs are not subject to the same passenger safety laws as passenger vehicles and arenít built strong like school buses, so it is left to parental discretion. As you mentioned, we often recommend a separate vehicle for as many of the passengers as possible, but if that isnít an option, you just have to hope for the best and drive as safely as possible. There may be a webinar on the topic which I will look for and link below if I find it.

Edit: here is the child passenger safety webinar I was thinking of: https://youtu.be/ak1YscpM4Xs

Carseat Crazy

Re: How do you do RVs?

Glad you found the webinar informative, if a bit late! I hope you can find a way to travel with the family that you are comfortable with. Happy travels!
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer, Boulevard G4, and SureRide
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag