Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Recommendations for Convertible or Booster for Petite 5.5 year old

I have 2 daughters (5.5 years and 5 months). We have 4 car seats: 2 infant seats, a 2014 Clek Fllo, and a 2016 Diono Radian RXT. One of our infant seats just expired, so I'm planning to move the 5 month old into the Fllo (she just hit 14 pounds). This means I need a new car seat for the 5.5 year old. She is 42" and just hit 30 lbs. I was originally going to just buy another Radian, but in my research I just realized she'll outgrow the Radian by height before she can ever use it as a booster. Any suggestions for a good seat for her? Should I just move her to a HBB with a lower weight limit of 30 pounds (though not sure what my options are there)? She's going to stay harnessed in the Radian for now at least in one car.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician

Re: Recommendations for Convertible or Booster for Petite 5.5 year old

Some 5.5 year olds are mature enough for a booster, but I personally would be hesitant to put a 30 pound child of that age in a booster. There are many great combination seats (that can be used with a harness now and as a booster later), though. The carseatblog list of recommendations is a good place to start your search, though pretty much any combination seat on the market should get your kiddo a couple more years of use!

link to recommended seats list
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

Unregistered

OP here. Thank you. I agree that I would be uncomfortable having her in a booster now given her size. I just worry that she won't weigh 40 pounds at 8 or 9 years old either. I think I answered my own question after posting. I need a harness to booster seat that can be used as a booster at less than 30 pounds so that when she is older and closer to 40 pounds (but not quite there yet), she can use the booster. Based on my research, it looks like I need one of the Graco seats. I'm leaning toward the Nautilus now.

Moderator - CPS Technician

Sounds like that would be a good choice.
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava