Question Recommendations for Convertible or Booster for Petite 5.5 year old

U

Unregistered

I have 2 daughters (5.5 years and 5 months). We have 4 car seats: 2 infant seats, a 2014 Clek Fllo, and a 2016 Diono Radian RXT. One of our infant seats just expired, so I'm planning to move the 5 month old into the Fllo (she just hit 14 pounds). This means I need a new car seat for the 5.5 year old. She is 42" and just hit 30 lbs. I was originally going to just buy another Radian, but in my research I just realized she'll outgrow the Radian by height before she can ever use it as a booster. Any suggestions for a good seat for her? Should I just move her to a HBB with a lower weight limit of 30 pounds (though not sure what my options are there)? She's going to stay harnessed in the Radian for now at least in one car.

ADS

jjordan

Some 5.5 year olds are mature enough for a booster, but I personally would be hesitant to put a 30 pound child of that age in a booster. There are many great combination seats (that can be used with a harness now and as a booster later), though. The carseatblog list of recommendations is a good place to start your search, though pretty much any combination seat on the market should get your kiddo a couple more years of use!

link to recommended seats list

U

Unregistered

OP here. Thank you. I agree that I would be uncomfortable having her in a booster now given her size. I just worry that she won't weigh 40 pounds at 8 or 9 years old either. I think I answered my own question after posting. I need a harness to booster seat that can be used as a booster at less than 30 pounds so that when she is older and closer to 40 pounds (but not quite there yet), she can use the booster. Based on my research, it looks like I need one of the Graco seats. I'm leaning toward the Nautilus now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC