Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Radian, Frontier, or something else for a tiny 9 year old

I'm looking for a carseat for a 9 year old with a medical condition that impacts growth. He's 44 inches and 38 lbs, so about the size of a 4 or 5 year old. He's proportional, so he doesn't have the issue of a child with dwarfism who have longer torsos than most kids their height. He has issues with fatigue, so a carseat that is safe and comfortable for sleep would be great. He currently rides in a harnessed booster that is expiring, and is looking for a new harnessed seat.

The radian and frontier have both been suggested, and I'm trying to figure out the differences. I know the frontier has a higher height limit as a harnessed seat, but I can't really imagine that he'll outgrow it by height. It seems as though, if he gets to the point where he's too tall for the harness on a radian he'll be close to adulthood.

Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Radian, Frontier, or something else for a tiny 9 year old

Hi there.

Is his skeletal age that of a nine year old? If so, I'd use a booster seat. A high back booster would be fine.

The Diono will be outgrown by shoulder height long before the Frontier. The 17.5" top harness height would probably get you within three or four inches, whereas the Frontier would get you probably ten or more.

But likely he doesn't need either, and you could go to a booster, unless his medical condition impacts his skeleton, and not just his size. If it's just his size, pick up a booster that starts below 40 pounds, and you're done.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Unregistered

I'm not his parent, he's the child of a friend and his parents have asked for a carseat for a gift. They feel pretty strongly that they want him in a harness, they feel it's safer when he sleeps.

I googled his underlying condition and skeletal age, and it looks like it can be delayed. He also has osteoporosis.

As far as outgrowing the radian, you think he'd outgrow it by 48 or 49 inches? That should be enough for him to use a booster for sure right?

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Why not get a combination seat for him, then, rather than a convertible? Something like the Graco Tranzitions/Wayz, Harmony Defender, Chicco MyFit, Graco Nautilus? Something that has a usable booster built in? Rather than a Radian, which doesn't have a usable booster built in (he won't be heavy enough). They're cheaper than the Radian, too, and are usually easier to install as well. They also have higher top slots than the Radian, but not as high as the Frontier.

But if he does have skeletal issues, the Frontier may work better, or if his fatigue is so great he'll just slump in half, I'd go with the Frontier. It gives him more time to deal with it and either learn to cope/change meds/learn something in PT, etc. OR, in two pounds and one inch, he'll be booster ready, and if so, he can switch to the booster mode at any time. But it gives him the option of either for a very long time.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785