Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

3 Across - New Midsize Sedan

Hi - I will be purchasing a new vehicle this summer, we currently have 2014 Odyssey and this car will be mainly driven by just the driver but would like to have the flexibility to accommodate 3 kids for short pick up / drop off trips. I am trying to stay away from a larger SUV and would prefer a midsize. The 2019 Honda Accord or 2019 Subaru Legacy seem to have the most rear space and the widest rear middle seat of the cars I have looked at.

My Kids are 8 years old (50lbs, 54 inches), 6 years old (46 lbs, 48 inches) and 11 months.

The 11 month old is currently in a SnugRide Click Connect 30 and would like to purchase an extra base and use this seat. I have been trying to figure out a combination of boosters for the other 2 kids that can work and get access to the seat belts (have been using a Harmony Youth Booster and a Harmony Dreamtime HBB as testers in vehicles as they seem to be the narrowest that we have in the extended family) but I can't quite get anything to work although the Legacy and Accord are the closest.

Any suggestions on appropriate boosters or midsize vehicles that could work?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: 3 Across - New Midsize Sedan

How tall and heavy is your baby? I'd probably just install the Snugride baseless the few times the baby is in this car. Save some money.

Your Harmony boosters for the older two are probably the narrowest. Did you try different positions within the vehicle?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

The baby is 21lbs and 28 inches, I have tried different positions and different boosters in pretty much every mid size car. The only other options seems to be a Mifold but they don't seem all that great or safe.

So you only have two inches, tops, before your baby outgrows the Snugride. You also need more than 1" of shell above the baby's head. I definitely wouldn't spend the money on another base for this car.

Have you tried the Cosco Rise or the Bubble Bum?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

I don't think the Bubble Bum is available in Canada but will look into the Cosco Rise. Thanks.

Oh, sorry, I had no idea you were in Canada. That's really important to know when making recommendations.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to

Are there budget friendly options for narrow convertible car seats for the soon to be 1 year old. I don't mind investing the money in a Diono or Clek Fllo for the main passenger vehicle, but for the occasional travel in the second vehicle are there other options that could work?

The Cosco Scenera Next is about $100 and rear faces to 40"/40 pounds.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to