Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Boosters Age 10+

I have twins who are 10 years old and going into 5th grade. Neither passes the 5-step test in our main car, an older Honda Odyssey (and yes, they complain because here no one is in a booster past 2nd grade). Anyway, both kids are riding in Harmony Youth boosters, which we also use for travel and carpooling. Carpooling often involves 3-across. But my taller twin is 57 inches tall which technically is the height limit for the Harmony Youth. My shorter twin (bless her heart) is only 52 inches tall and will probably be in a booster until adulthood.

Do I keep the taller twin in the Harmony Youth or get her something like the Incognito? She's 75 pounds, 57 inches tall. We still need it to work for carpooling, 3-across, and be easy to travel with. Would it be bad to put the shorter twin in the Incognito as well? Shorter twin is 58 pounds, 52 inches tall, so not QUITE at the lower weight limit for the Incognito but it would also help her psyche to not still be in the "baby seat" while twin sister gets to move to a "less babylike seat". And yes, my twins are THAT different in size!!

What would you do and what are the recommended backless boosters these days? I'm already struggling because every parent involved in carpool wonders why they're "still" in boosters at all and to be honest, it doesn't matter how easy a booster is to use, it's still more of a pain when buckling belts (especially in 3-across situations where everyone's struggling to get belts tucked in the right place and buckled). But I am holding out as long as I can...

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Boosters Age 10+

You can't use the Incognito yet for the smaller, but she can continue to use the Harmony. Your bigger can use it, though. And you can definitely get two, and have it on deck for the smaller to move into (remember, booster weights are fully clothed, in shoes. Everything a booster is expected to stop in a crash). Her height is fine, that doesn't concern me in the least. It's solely her weight.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785