Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

5 Step Test Question

My 10 year old can pass the 5 step test in my car. Is there any safety advantage to keeping him in his no back booster? He has been anxious to get out of his booster since most of his friends stopped using them by 2nd grade, and he doesn’t want to be the only 5th grader still riding in a booster seat. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: 5 Step Test Question

There is. It helps keep the lap belt down since his skeleton is still immature. But at this point it's up to you and him.

Have you looked into the Safety 1st Incognito? It's made for exactly this purpose.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Carseat Crazy

Re: 5 Step Test Question

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    There is. It helps keep the lap belt down since his skeleton is still immature. But at this point it's up to you and him.

Have you looked into the Safety 1st Incognito? It's made for exactly this purpose.

Wendy

Thank you! My husband would kill me if I bought another seat at this point. lol We have a garage filled with various car seats and strollers. I will have to think about it. We only use my car for to and from school drop offs (4 blocks away), so I’m tempted to let him go without. He still needs the booster in my husband’s car, and that is the car we take for everything else. I still have the summer to decide.