Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

tween seatbelt issues, 05 Odyssey

My 10yo is 5' tall, 128lbs. In our 05 Ody she rides in the middle row, passenger side. Lately she complains that she can't sit properly because the seat belt is uncomfortable. I took a closer look at the setup with her sitting up properly and I think the angle of the shoulder belt is bad. Any suggestions for a fix?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: tween seatbelt issues, 05 Odyssey

Adjusting the shoulder belt on the wall doesn't help?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Unregistered

no, the wall adjustment is already all the way down.

Try having her sit on the opposite side (so if she's in the left passenger seat, try the right). We have an 08 Odyssey, which I believe is the same body style, and I have noticed, weirdly, that the adjustment height on the wall of the left side differs from the right. (This is what you notice when you have twins in car seats LOL). So interestingly, my shorter twin does better sitting on the right side.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Also, from an adult her size, try adjusting it UP. It's counterintuitive, but sometimes I need to put it up, not down (I'm 5'1", but otherwise her size).

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Also check the position of the seat and seatback- sometimes a little adjustment there can make a difference in belt fit.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!